News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Help in identify this Gigliato

Started by jsalgado, April 21, 2016, 12:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsalgado

Knights of St.. John at Rhodes (?) Gigliato 2,67 mm  ;  3,62 g  ;I need the reading of the inscription of the coin. Many thanks for your help.

Figleaf

I can confirm that this is a gigliato of Rhodes under the knights. However, the essence of your question is "which grand master?" Going by the shield behind the grand master's back, I think the best fit is Robert de Juilly (1374-1377). However, I can't make the legend fit.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jsalgado

Many thanks for your help.

I am afraid that this coin is not attributed to Robert de Juilly .
The only inscription that  I know of this grand master is

+ F-ROPBERTVS : D : GULIAC D GRAM *
+ OSPITAL'S IOhS.IRLNI.QT.RODI.
I have the coin with me and I can't read the legend and it seems diferente.

Figleaf

As I said, I can't make the legend fit. The grand master's name is between the F and DG. I read .ERIhL That doesn't solve anything, though. The coat of arms behind the grand master's back should be easier to identify.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

constanius

RHODES.PHILIBERT DE NAILLAC AD 1396-1421.AR.GIGLIATO.~#~ SANTA CROSE LEGEND.

Slightly different lengends, yours has SANTA C:ROSE:H reverse etc

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/pavlos_s_pavlou_numismatist/131/product/rhodesphilibert_de_naillac_ad_13961421argigliato_santa_crose_legend/530095/Default.aspx 

EDIT:   This looks a better match for the legend, notice the U, not a V, though it is very worn and yours has MARIS
+FRE FILIbERTUS MRIS
  https://www.vcoins.com/es/stores/pavlos_s_pavlou_numismatist/131/product/rhodesphilibert_de_naillac_ad_13961421argigliato_santa_crose_legend/530097/Default.aspx 

Pat

jsalgado

Excellent collaboration!
Many thansk to Peter and Constanius.