Author Topic: Iran falus of Gilan / goat  (Read 1640 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Iran falus of Gilan / goat
« on: October 16, 2014, 07:39:59 PM »
Civic copper : "falus zarb Bandar"( Abbas ?)
22mm / 7,90g
ref. ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:53:39 PM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Iran falus of Bandar (Abbas ? st. of Ormuz) / goat
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »
I haven't found a similar coin, neither in litterature nor on the web, and I am not sure of the location of this mint "Bandar" (port) : Bandar Abbas? Bandar Lengeh ? Bandar abu Shehr ? If somebody has an idea...
(This coin has probably been struck under Qajars).

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »
Another nice Islamic coin featuring an animal  8)  seems to have elements of a double strike also
Vic

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
I put this on Fb for you to try & get a response & so far it's been good but nothing definite, Shailen Bhandare is fairly sure the word is not Bandar but Bilad (city) and there is something starting with Alif after Fulus in  the first line. Stan Goron thinks it's probably Iranian but doesn't recognise the lower line inscription.

See if anything develops during the day & I'll post it here  :)
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
Many thanks dear Capnbirdseye! I'll very pleased to learn more on this coin; in fact I had a doubt for "bandar" and there is well something after "falus", unfortunately masked by a double strike (or over strike?).

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
Valentine 101 shows a similar goat for Shiraz mint and now, it seems to me that it could be this name which is present after "falus", rests of the 3 dots of "sh" could be seen so that the rest of the name ("A" cut "Shir" and "Z" is the curved letter over).
"zarb falus bilad Shiraz"  ???

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »
Great team effort across forums............the power of the internet.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »
A new response from Stan Goron of which he seems confident as this area is now his interest rather than Sultanates

It reads: falus iran zarb Gilan

Stan Goron- Gilan is a province in northern Iran. Its capital was at one stage Lahijan, and later Rasht. It is not known where precisely the Gilan coins were struck. It is a rare mint
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 11:29:02 AM »
Thank you once more ! and great thanks to Stan Goron, his expert advice is invaluable; I am pleased to learn that iranian civic coppers are his new field of research , there is really a lack in this area.

I wasn't fully convinced by the reading of "bilad",  it is found better as "al-bilad" than "bilad" alone (on few gold coins of Ahmad Shah Durrani for ex: "al-bilad Ahmadshahi"); the last letter is cut but could be well a "n".
"Gilan" is a good surprise for me as I have never seen a coin from this mint ::)

The last question is : what could be the word after "falus" partially visible at 10-11 o'clock ?

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »

The last question is : what could be the word after "falus" partially visible at 10-11 o'clock ?

I thought the word next to Falus was Iran ?
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Iran falus of Gilan / goat
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 02:09:28 PM »
 :applause: You are right, that well fit for "Iran" ! ایران ,  unusual on a civic copper I think.
Now with a good light, it seems that I am able to see as first letter of the mintname the shadow part of a "G", not easy to see on a picture..
and the full legend should be : "zarb Gilan / falus Iran"

I have change "Bandar" to "Gilan" in the tittle.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »
Another rare coin finally identified & stored on WoC thanks to Stan Goron & Fb  ;D 
 The only downside with Fb groups is that it's not a permanent database with any kind of index, although you can view previously posted photo's & comments either personally posted or by all others since the groups were formed it sometimes fails to load the images or says Sorry, we couldn't find any results for this search.
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »
I think our ban on personal attacks and our focus on coins and tokens and our independence from any commercial interest are also advantages. I am still hoping to see Messrs Bandare & Goron show up here one day. They'd love our indexes...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 07:11:54 PM »
I think our ban on personal attacks and our focus on coins and tokens and our independence from any commercial interest are also advantages. I am still hoping to see Messrs Bandare & Goron show up here one day. They'd love our indexes...

Peter

I'll try & steer them this way if i can  :),references to WoC do appear from time to time & sometimes links to WoC pages, not sure about Shailen but Stan Goron might be interested, now retired his hobby apart from coins seems to be photography as he posts photo's of birds & plants almost daily
Vic