Author Topic: Bengal Sultan: A historically important coin of Bayazid Shah  (Read 1088 times)

Offline S. M. Iftekhar Alam

Bengal Sultan: A historically important coin of Bayazid Shah
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:23 AM »
Gold coin, 10.6gm, 24mm.
Obv: Shihab/ al-dunya wa'l din/ abu'l muzaffar/ Bayazid Shah/ al-sultan
Rev : Kalima Tayyibah within a square.
Rev margin has the mint and date as Firuzabad and AH814.

No gold coin of Bayazid has yet been published in any catalog. This unique gold coin, struck at the capital Firuzabad, testifies that Bayazid ascended the throne of Bengal in 814AH - one year earlier than what is presently considered to be his year of accession. His previous sultan, Saif al-Din Hamzah Shah's coins dated AH815 from Mu'azzamabad (B269 and B273 of G/G) indicates that after his removal by Bayazid in AH814 he fled to the eastern part of Bengal and managed to rule this part up to AH815.

~ Iftekhar
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:36:33 PM by capnbirdseye »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Bengal Sultan: A historically important coin of Bayazid Shah
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »
This is hyper-interesting, but it raises more questions than it answers. According to Wikipedia, Bayazid was Hamzah's slave. Why are both counted as members of the Ilyas dynasty? If the relation was slavery, the succession must have been violent. Your coin seems to prove Hamzah survived Bayazid's rebellion, but could it not have been a posthumous issue by loyalists? If G/G knew about Hamza's coins from Mu'azzamabad in 815, but not of Bayazid's 814 coin from Firuzabad, was the former more common than the latter, or are both rare and is it just a coincidence?

I am not expecting that you have answers to these questions, but I think more research may yet surprise us. Meanwhile, I totally agree this is a historically very important coin, literally changing historical detail. Thank you for posting it here. I made some adjustment on Wikipedia.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 12:30:15 PM »
In itself a piece of beauty. You telling the historic background makes it really come alive. Thanks !

Offline nnasir

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
Dear Peter,

Your question is very much logical. Hamza Shah was a successor of Iliyas Shahi Dynasty but not Bayazid Shah. According to contemp history and numismatic & epigraphic references, Bayazid Shah dethroned Hamza Shah with the help of Raja Ganesha in 814AH and took the charge of Capital Firuzabad in North Bengal. Hamza Shah fled to eastern bengal and survived to rule upto 815AH which is proved by numismatic references. In 815AH, Bayazid Shah captured east bengal (Muazzamabad) by imprisoning/killing Hamza Shah and ended the part of Iliyas Shahi Dynasty.

According to rarity, both are very rare but I think Bayazid Shah's coin dated 814AH is rarer.  I am aware of one more gold coin of Bayazid Shah which is also unpublished so far.  But the above one has one more significance that is introduction of Kalima feature probably after 200 years. Bayazid Shah's coin with Kalima is extremely rare even in silver as well.

Rgds
Noman

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 12:49:08 PM »
Lovely coin & nice history also.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline S. M. Iftekhar Alam

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:37:51 PM »
Dear Peter,

I agree with Noman that Bayazid can not belong to Ilyas Dynasty as he was a slave of Hamzah. The coins of Bayazid dated 814 are extremely rare and, as far as I know, not a single one has been published yet.

I would say this gold coin is not a posthumous issue as there is not a single coin of Hamzah from Firuzabad after 814. I am waiting to see my article in next ONS journal where you would see a detailed discussion on this matter supported by other unpublished coins of Bayazid dated 814. I believe you would find the article interesting.

~Iftekhar

Offline nnasir

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »
Iftekhar Bhai,

I will also be eagerly waiting because I just love the mystery of that period in Bengal. However, the reign of Bayazid can be estimated to on or before Jumada II of 814 to Shaban/Ramadan of 817 based on numismatic evidence.

Rgds
Noman