Sikh Empire Paisa, Sher Singh (1840-1843 AD/VS 1897-1900), Kashmir mint

Started by Rangnath, February 01, 2009, 02:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

What a delightful Tiger (or lion) on the obverse!  The Reverse has a legend with letters that seem much like those on some Sikh Paisas.  The coin was sold to me as a "Sikh Paisa".  But I can not locate it.  It weighs 3.7 grams and measures 18 mm across.
richie

Overlord

I finally remembered where I had seen this one  :).

It's Sikh Empire, Sher Singh (1840-1843 AD/VS 1897-1900), Kashmir mint

Obverse Lion with Persian inscription above.
Reverse Part of Gurmukhi inscription "Baba Nanak Ji Sahai". (Your coin shows only "Sahai".)
(Ref. Valentine#144, p. 246)

Rangnath

You have mentioned Valentine before Overlord.  Do you like it?  Are the images clear? 
Thanks for the attribution.  I wonder why this one is not in the Standard Catalog, though I know enough that I shouldn't wonder.   :)
richie

Figleaf

Judge for yourself, Richie.

I'd say that even if you never use Valentine, it's still worthwhile. The handwritten texts and the pictures drawn by hand reveal a scientist with a passion whose book is utterly charming.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Thanks Peter, I see what you mean!  The drawing for this coin is wonderful. 
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on February 01, 2009, 10:23:58 PM
You have mentioned Valentine before Overlord.  Do you like it?  Are the images clear? 
richie
It is simply the best book I have on coins. I absolutely love it! All sketches are crystal clear, as Peter's example demonstrates

asm

The book is excellent and the writing as well as the sketckes are beyond words. The book is excellent for biginers like me. Unfortunately it covers a limited area of India. I wish there were more!

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"