Morocco copper "benduqui" dated 1275, a forgery?

Started by saro, July 26, 2014, 04:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

seen on the web : "authenticity inconditionally guaranteed".
No trace in KM, Valentine or other catalogues...
I am not expert in Morocco coinage, but I have great doubt for such denomination in copper...even if it looks genuine.
Any idea ?
same legend on both faces / 19mm / 2,6g
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

Tried to find out what a benduqui is. descriptions vary from a large gold coin to a copper that was stuck below a bedouin shoe for the last two centuries. ;) Everyone agrees that it's a coin, though. :D

This particular one showed up in Ebay Spain with the description E133 MARRUECOS BENDUQUI DE COBRE 1275 AH FALSA DE EPOCA. Contemporary forgery. The item was withdrawn. Next, it showed up in worthopedia, where it has miraculously turned into a "Authenticity unconditionally guaranteed" item. The plentiful use of inverted exclamation marks leaves room for thinking that the seller may be Spanish.

Fishy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Manzikert

A bunduqi is a not very large (3.3-3.4 gm) Moroccan coin, the standard gold denomination from the 17th-19th centuries. This copper is imitating the 19th century ones, specifically those of Abd al-Rahman (1822-1859), which should be c.17mm. I have a couple of these, but I don't have scans to hand so I've lifted this image from one of Tim Wilkes' lists.

As a copper/bronze coin, a total fantasy.

Best wishes

Alan

saro

Oh yes, thank you very much Peter and Alan : so it's an "authentic fantasy" !
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)