Author Topic: Richard Plant - Arabic Coins and how to read them  (Read 9489 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Richard Plant - Arabic Coins and how to read them
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:53:50 AM »
If you consider coins an investment in yourself, this book is a great investment tool. :)

Richard Plant is obviously no stranger to education. He starts with a basic chapter on numerals and dating and takes the reader through the world of Arabic coins step by step with easy to digest chapters, each concluded by a test that allows you to practice what you know (answers are in the back of the book). By using line drawings, he avoids distractions by imperfections on coins. The book is neither an Arabic language guide, nor a coin catalogue, but rather an instrument specially designed for the numismatically inclined, who need only a limited vocabulary, but one that contains words and phrases that are specific to coins. Once you have ploughed through the book, you wil not read Arabic fluently, but you can decipher key words and you are starting to understand the magnificent tradition of Islamic coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Austrokiwi

Re: Richard Plant - Arabic Coins and how to read them
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:26:36 AM »
Peter you should ask the Author for a commission.   I was thinking about purchasing this book and you have convinced me its a useful reference.

Another book that i have found useful ( for context rather than Numismatic detail) is "A monetary History of the Ottoman Empre" by Sevket Pamuk.  Pamuk is an economic historian (Professor at Bogazici University)  The book covers monetary history form the beginning of the Empire till its end, although the main focus,to me, seems to be on the 15th-17th century. The Author challenges current Occidental thinking and basis much of his arguments on his review of Official Ottoman records. 

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »
That is good news, Austrokiwi. I am sure you will find it rewarding to move beyond the really basic information in KM. It is best to keep practicing in order not to lose what you once knew, though.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Ansari

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »
Same book is available for online reading.

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »
Thank you Tariq!

Ansari

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »
Thank you Tariq!

+1

I remember this book well from my childhood, when I used to borrow it from the village library to decipher various 'squiggly coins' I was given.

Offline Gaurav

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 05:24:59 AM »
Any better quality version of this book available online? Anywhere to buy this book in print in Mumbai?

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 10:05:13 AM »
Any better quality version of this book available online? Anywhere to buy this book in print in Mumbai?

You may well be able to find a copy on ABE Books -- although that's the UK site I've linked to there are sellers from the whole world on there and they are generally willing to post internationally. I've ordered stuff from all over there.

Offline Gaurav

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »
Thanks, will have a look. Though will still try to find a local supplier.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »
I have been trying to find a copy of Richard Plant's book but have been unsuccessful.

Try this search engine. I am shocked at how expensive this book has apparently become.

Peter

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
Try this search engine. I am shocked at how expensive this book has apparently become.

Peter
Thanks a lot Peter. But yeah the price is crazy! My plan now is to get me a tutor next time I visit India for my vacation. I believe that will be cheaper. ;-)

akona20

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 03:46:04 PM »
I have a copy, I have had it for many years. My second copy is annotated with error corrections etc. given recent happenings they will probably be found on ebay with around 600 other numismatic books collected over 41 years. You see I am just new to the game and a complete novice.
Bid for it please. you might just get the annotated one. will make a great rewrite for someone who likes stealing things.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 03:07:04 AM »
This is about to be reissued by Rotographic. More info when I get a publication date.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »
Great news, bagerap! please keep us informed.

Peter