Sitamau one half paisa of Shadul Singh

Started by Rangnath, January 29, 2009, 11:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

The coin is not in great shape.  But I am delighted with it. It is the only coin from Sitamau that I have seen outside of a catalog.
It weighs 4 grams: a great help in cataloging it as KM 25; a coin of the very short reign of Shadul Singh, 1899 to 1900. 
According to my catalog, the Tident and VS date are on the obverse.  I guess I can see the persian "6" of VS1956.  The reverse is said to hold the ruler's name and mint.
richie

Figleaf

Like you, I'd never seen a coin from this state before. There's good information on the local dynasty here. If you stay in the right hotel, you may get to meet the present ruler :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Peter,
  The current monarchs in India are not officially recognised by the Indian Government,even though the local people themselves do recognise them from a cultural & heritage viewpoint.The Indian Government provided Privy Purses to those Indian monarchs who acceded to the Dominion of India between 1947 & 1949 from 1947 until 1970,when the government of Indira Gandhi had a law passed abolishing the Privy Purses & derecognising the Indian monarchs.

Richie,
  That is a cool coin that you have got there.

Aidan.

Rangnath

Thanks for the link Peter.  I noticed there that the current Raja's father-in-law had what I would consider an unusually long name:   Colonel HH 108 Sri Maharaj Adhiraj Raj Rajeshwar Ravi Kula Bushana-Mahi Mahindra Yavadarya Kula Kamaldhivakara Chattis Rajkul Singar Maharana Shri BHAGWAT SINGH Bahadur Hindua Suraj Hindupati of Udaipur.  Even though Aidan is correct about official recognition of monarchs and the gentleman above has three Rajs in his name, my respect for this humble copper is totally undiminished.  :)
richie

Overlord

I recently acquired one. This one is 3.7 g.

Obverse

Reverse

BC Numismatics

Amit,
  That's a very nice coin that you have picked up.

I still haven't come across one.

Aidan.

Rangnath

I've noticed a few of them Overlord.  That can not be only a coincidence.
I understand "Sita" but what does "mau" mean?
richie

Bimat

Quote from: Rangnath on July 18, 2009, 03:52:17 PM
I understand "Sita" but what does "mau" mean?
I think the word 'Mau' has come from 'Mauli' (which means Mother) (My guess only,forgive me if I'm wrong ;D)

I enjoyed the article on Sitamau on wikipedia.I was impressed by the current population statistics. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

On those long names, I once loyally served a boss by the name of Baron van Voorst tot Voorst. One day, he insisted on going to Brazil on an official mission. On coming back, he was silently fuming. The Brazilians had told him his name was too long and insisted on calling him Mr. Van. He never went back to Brazil...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Aditya, I should have guessed "Mother"! What was I thinking?  Thanks.
And thanks Peter.  As a former teacher of as many as 200 to 300 new names per year, I've always enjoyed long names.  If your Baron had a male child, my hope would be that his name would be Baron Voorst. His full name would be Baron Voorst van Voorst tot Voorst. If a daughter, I find "Brazil" simply adorable.  I can't wait for the grand kids!  But please, do not require him to sign hundreds of documents daily with his full signiture as was done to poor Major Major Major Major of "Catch-22" fame.
richie