Janjira, Sidi Muhammad Khan (AH1242-1265/1826-1848). Ref.: KM#15

Started by asm, January 27, 2009, 12:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

Can any attribution be made from the information available on this coin?
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Oesho

I presume that this is an issue of Janjira, Sidi Muhammad Khan (AH1242-1265/1826-1848). Ref.: KM#15
Coins of this State are extremely crude and their atribution is often provisional.

Rangnath

Is the reverse and obverse switched? 
I looked at the example in the standard catalog and I can not see how you made the attribution.  Are there any clues for which I should look?
richie

Oesho

Turn the right image almost 90 degrees anti-clock-wise and used it as reverse.
The right image as obverse and the illustrration compares favourable with the illustration of KM#10. (KM#15 = the old number in the SAC catalogue).
The (new) obverse shows clearly Muhammad on the top, which is the reason to attribute it to Muhammad.
The (new) reverse legend is a bit problematical, but that are all legends on these crude coppers.

asm

Oesho,
Thankyou for the attribution. I post here the revised image as suggested.
Amit

asm

I checked on Zeno and came across two coins which have a very similar reverse as the coin that i have posted. The obverse is to some extent similar but a little different. You can see the coin at http://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=2948
Amit

Oesho

Dear Amit, Thanks to Overlord's wonderfull index, you may see that we discussed similar paisas of Janjira earlier at this site.

Oesho

I consulted the article in the ONS Newsletter #178 (Winter 2004) by Shailendra Bhandare. He reconstructed the legend on the copper coins of Sidi Muhammad as follows:
Obv.: Sidi Muhammad Khan Fidwi
Rev.: Alamgir Badshah Ghazi.
The entire legend stands for: Sidi Muhammad, the servant of Emperor Alamgir, the Warrior.
The Alamgir refers to the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb Alamgir (1658-1707). It was during his reign that the Sidis established a connection with the Mughal court and it was a charter of Aurangzeb that confirmed Sidi rule on Janjira and its adjoining areas.
It's in the same line that the single type of gold mohur of Janjira, has on one side the usual legend found on the coins of Aurangzeb. See: ZENO #18590

Rangnath

Thanks Oesho. I now can see this as a Janjira coin.  And the complete legend is nice to have. 
In the standard catalog, it said "the origin of the nawabs of Janjira is obscure. They were Sidi or Abyssinian Muslims.."  Wow, that sounded interesting. 
richie

asm

Oesho,
thank you for the attribution.
From recent discussions, i have seen that there is a lot of interesting information in the newsletters of the ONS. Are back issues available anywhere?
Amit

BC Numismatics

Janjira is located near Bombay.

Here's an article; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janjira_Island .

The Janjiran coins have been pretty elusive to me so far.

Aidan.

Rangnath

Oesho had posted some wonderful photos of Janjira earlier last year.  Take a look.
richie

BC Numismatics

Oesho

BC Numismatics