News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Brazilian counterstamps

Started by Prosit, December 05, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

According to KM, the numerical countermarks used on the Pará provincial coinage have cruder digits, including the smaller zero as yours has. Could this be KM 413 or 414?

Edit: On reflection it can't be KM 414 as there are the clear remains of a wreath on the host coin on the side with the 40 stamp, and 414 has a circle of beads, not a wreath. It looks to me as if the host coin is the 80 reis equivalent of the coin illustrated for KM409. Whether this is KM366, 376 or 377 depends on your coin's weight. 366 should be 28.7 g, 376 is 19.1 g and 377 14.3 g.

Michiel

the coin is 26,89 grams.

The best i can make of it is:
km444.x on a km366.1
or
km446 on a km379

Michiel

This is a brazillian 80 reis km444.x counterstamped.

it seems that its not counterstamped 40 but 4 " coffee bean" 

On the dutch coin forum we have keep the option open that this is a plantation coin.

does anybody reconice the bean? the stamp is 15 mm of size

Prosit

So it is not an "N" it is a coffee Bean...that is interesting.  It looks like one now that you point it out.
Dale

Figleaf

Thanks for the detail. It is now clear that the punch was hit twice. You wil have seen that the circle around the punch is incomplete in two places. This probably explains the "fat 4", but it also means that the symbol to the right of the four is the result of a double strike. My first thought is that it is a relatively round zero with a small, oval inner opening...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

You got a lot more from that than I did. Which points out to me that I know less about the mnting process and coining than I thought I did.

Dale

Quote from: Figleaf on August 20, 2012, 01:43:14 AM
Thanks for the detail. It is now clear that the punch was hit twice. You wil have seen that the circle around the punch is incomplete in two places. This probably explains the "fat 4", but it also means that the symbol to the right of the four is the result of a double strike. My first thought is that it is a relatively round zero with a small, oval inner opening...

Peter

Michiel

Quote from: Figleaf on August 20, 2012, 01:43:14 AM

Peter

that is also a good explanation.

than it can be a para coin. otherwise i can find any CS with such a big difference in size

Afrasi

The countermark is from Para (Brazil).