Author Topic: Privy Marks on Algerian Coins?  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Privy Marks on Algerian Coins?
« on: January 24, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »
Hi all,
According to Krause World Coin Catalog,Algerian coins do not have a mint mark,but have a privy mark of Paris mint.Which exactly is the privy mark on these coins?
I have got Algeria 50 Centimes dated 1971,KM# 102.I couldn't get information about their privy marks.Can somebody give me information about Algerian privy marks? In-fact,most of the African countries have a privy mark,and I would like to read all the related information.

Aditya
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:23:38 AM by numismatica »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:26:55 PM »
Aditya,
  The privy marks on Algerian coins are 2 symbols that are similar to what is on the French coins.They are usually found either flanking the date or close to the denomination.

Aidan.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
Re: Privy Marks on Algerian Coins?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 02:47:05 PM »
Aditya,
Only the French colonial coins for Algeria do have the Paris Mint privy marks.
Such coins haven't been minted after 1956.
All later Algerian coins don't have a privy mark at all.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 04:57:29 PM »
Hi a3v1,
Thanks for the information.That means,Algerian coins are still minted at Paris,but without any mint-mark or privy mark,If I am not wrong?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
Aditya,
  The Monnaie de Paris no longer strikes coins at Paris,but at its factory at Pessac,which is located in southern France near Bordeaux.

Aidan.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 02:11:07 AM »
French coins have a mintmark (différent de la Monnaie) and a mintmaster mark (différent du directeur de la Monnaie) until 1879. From 1880 on, the different mintmarks were replaced by the mark of the Administration de la monnaie et des médailles, the mint and medal service, a cornucopia. This organisation is now called régie de fabrication des espèces. The mint at Pessac is known as Monnaie de Paris, the Paris mint.

However, in times of war and emergency, temporary mints were used, whose products sometimes bore a different mintmark, like B (Beaumont-le-Roger) and C (Castelsarassin), sometimes no mintmark (e.g. the same emergency mints, Philadelphia) or a secret mark (Madrid, Utrecht and Bern). For instance, the 2 francs 1943 no mintmark were struck at Castelsarassin.

Algeria was not considered a colony, but part of France. Except in times of need, Algeria therefore used French coins. Some French coins were struck only for Algeria, but are nevertheless listed as French by KM (the same goes for some coins listed as Dutch, that in reality circulated only in the Netherlands East Indies).

I don't know where Algerian coins were struck after Algerian independence in 1962, but in view of the ill feelings between the countries, Paris does not seem likely.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »
Algeria - privy marks....

Read the first part of my page at....

http://www.wbcc.fsnet.co.uk/af-alg.htm

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 05:40:50 PM »
Hi Mr. Paul Baker,
Thanks for the information and the link.The link has provided a very good information about African coins.I found it very useful.

Aditya