Author Topic: Puveera tokens of Thanjavur  (Read 870 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Puveera tokens of Thanjavur
« on: June 06, 2014, 09:37:41 PM »
I had these two little tokens lying around in my junk box for some time. Decided that also these had to be cataloged and photographed. I show them here because a could not find a previous reference to these on the board.

What i know of these tokens is that they are brass "puveera" tokens from the end of the 19th century. They originate from southern India, supposedly Tamil Nadu. Mitchener included them in his book on Southern Indian coins (MSI 1288-9). The former use of these is unknown to me. There is not much to be found on them on the internet, but one can buy them very cheaply.

If anyone has more background information, please share this !

Brass, 12 mm, 2.56 grams.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: South-Indian 19th century brass tokens.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:53:16 AM »
Those are interesting, not seen any on the Fb forums so I guess they can't be very common
Vic

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »
These are the so-called puveera tokens of Thanjavur.  Notice the tamil பு (pu) on the reverse top of your coin.  Not much information other than what is written in Mitchiner.  There are several of them on zeno.ru including this one with a retrograde பு:

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I also do not know much more about these. I had found out about the Pu character, the veera part of the name to me has an unknown meaning. Found a reference to a Spinks auction in which a bucket full of these were sold as a lot. I paid 50 cents for them a few years ago. Did not encounter them since.