News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Akbar Dam: Ahmadabad Mint

Started by Rangnath, January 14, 2009, 05:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

this 20 gram coin is well struck.  But I need help with its attribution. 
richie

asm

This is a Dam of Akbar, most likely Ahmedabad (type 29 as mentioned in the first edition of Krause / C-2 as per Liddle). Since I can not read the language correctly, i have guessed the mint as I have similar coins which have been identified for me as being those of Ahmedabad.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Overlord

Thanks asm.
Lovely design, isn't it? Is that a dagger I see above nuhsad? The second image is the obverse showing the mint name Dar-us-Sultanat Ahmadabad. The year is purely my guess---983 AH?

Rangnath

The design does remind me of the Mahmudi.  Thanks for the help ASM and Overlord.  It is a well struck coin.
richie

Rangnath

In the "coin cabinet" I found a coin remarkably similar to mine, described only as Km 21.1.  I do not have a catalog with that number.  Does anyone?
In Zeno, I located an Akbar Dam very similar, but with a different mark to the left of the "S" on the Reverse in the photo below.  It was dated AH 986 and was said to have been minted in Ahmadabad as well. 
In the coin cabinet, the obverse is as I have placed it at the top of the post.  In Zeno, the photo suggests that I have it wrong.  Which one is better?
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on January 15, 2009, 02:33:40 AM
I do not have a catalog with that number.  Does anyone?
richie
I believe that number is from an earlier, out of print Krause publication The Standard Guide to South Asian Coins and Paper Money Since 1556 AD, which covers the coinage of Akbar.

Quote from: Rangnath on January 15, 2009, 02:33:40 AM
I do not have a catalog with that number.  Does anyone?
In Zeno, I located an Akbar Dam very similar, but with a different mark to the left of the "S" on the Reverse in the photo below.  It was dated AH 986 and was said to have been minted in Ahmadabad as well. 
In the coin cabinet, the obverse is as I have placed it at the top of the post.  In Zeno, the photo suggests that I have it wrong.  Which one is better?
richie
I believe the one at Zeno is correct---the obverse showing the mint name and the reverse the AH date in Persian words and numerals. (Hey, it has a different symbol above Nuhsad, instead of a dagger-like symbol on yours! I wonder what is its significance.)
Here is how I read the year on yours:

Rangnath

I see where you arrived at 983, but couldn't it be 986? 
The mark really interests me.  I'm not positive that I highlighted it correctly, but certainly the difference in the two coins means something!  Maybe when one guy went to smoke a Beedi, the dye was replaced to keep track of output with the new guy?
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on January 15, 2009, 11:07:48 PM
I see where you arrived at 983, but couldn't it be 986? 
richie
We have the year written in words as well. The last word (i.e., topmost word) on the coin at Zeno is clearly shash (six), but the one on your coin looks different. I think it is a teen (three). For comparison, see the secon coin on this page. It is the same type as yours, dated 983 AH.

Rangnath

Fantastic job, Overlord.  AH 983 it is. 
I love the weight and feel of the Akbar Dams.  This one is particularly beautiful. Thanks for working with it.
richie