AH 966 - Please help attribute this coin

Started by asm, January 06, 2009, 08:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

The date mentioned is 966 or is it 967? Could someone please help attribute this one? The diameter is 23mm and the weight is 9.08g
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

asm

I have found one more almost identical coin which has the same date - it seems to be a twin of this coin. However the weight is 9.51g. Is it normal to come across such weight differences in identical coins where there is no or almost no sign of wear?
Amit

asm

I came across the following coin on an auction site which has been attributed as "Uncertain Sultanate, Silver ΒΌ Tanka, an unusual coin from central or north India with clear date AH 727, similar to (G&G MU20). Very Fine, Very Rare."
Is there a similarity between the coin above and the one shown here?
Amit

Oesho

For similar, still unindentidfied, coins see ZENO #63458; #46969; #46968; #46967 & #45743.
I would be happy if someone could shed some more light on those enigmatic coins.

asm

Oesho,
Thank you for the information provided. These coins sure are enigmatic. A major difference I observed on my coin is that the date is (may be) 966 while all the others except coin #46967 are dated 782, which is a difference of almost 200 years.
Amit

Oesho

The date on your coin does seems to read 727 and not 966