Bandar Poeloe Plantation token (fantasy)

Started by thelawnet, January 01, 2009, 10:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelawnet

Can somebody identify this token (1892 50 cents)?

BC Numismatics

Can you please upload some close-up photos,as the inscriptions are almost impossible to read?

You can use this to help you with editing your photos; http://www.photoscape.org .

Aidan.

Figleaf

The logo explains hat the pic was copied from ebay, so there's no way you get a better pic.

This resembles an East Asian plantation token. Since the tokens of states in British Borneo, Kelantan and Penang are AFAIK invariably round and undated, your best chance is the Dutch East Indies. The only tokens in that series dated 1892 (Argasari) are round. However, since the token is pretty worn, the date may have been misread. There are for instance triangular pieces dated 1890 issued by the Tanah Radja estate. However, your token is more or less equilateral, while the Tanah Radja pieces are isosceles. Also, I can't make the letters I can read fit.

Buying this piece seems high risk to me. You may end up with a discovery piece or with a fantasy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

The image is little with which to work. 
Not much of an improvement, is it?
richie

Figleaf

Thank you, Richie. You did a great job, but I am still having trouble with the text. I think the line below is - upside down - UNTERNEHMEN (company in German). The Tana Radja pieces are aso in German, but the word is broken up in UNTER and NEHMEN with TANA RADJA on the third side
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

That helps considerably. The tokens of Bandar Poeloe estate are catalogued by both Scholten and Lansen. The 50 cents is Sch 1024, Lansen 25. Both authors say that the tokens are undated and nickel (Lansen mentions a trial strike in silver), Lansen says it is round. I have seen a dollar of a later owner (see picture). It has nothing in common with this piece. However, Bandar Poeloe has known three owners and there are three metals known:

brass: dollar, 25 cents, 20 cents
nickel: 50 cents, 5 cents
copper/bronze: 10 cents, 5 cents

The three owners were: W. Flinzer (1891-1893), Nederlandsch Indische Tabaks Maatschappij (1893-1897) and Bandar Rubber Maatschappij (1912-?). Flinzer may have been German. However, the owners may have mixed metals deliberately to create a series in different colours and sizes. Lansen says the tokens are RR, the trial pieces RRR. On balance, I think this increases the possibility of a discovery piece considerably. If you decide to buy it, I would highly appreciate a high resolution pic. I can send you a scan of a map that shows the location of this estate.

Peter

thelawnet

I have bought the coin. I suspect it may be a fantasy, but I will investigate further.

Figleaf

I have had the opportunity to attract Mr. Lansen's attention to this piece. A better picture would be much appreciated.

Peter

thelawnet

thelawnet

Quote from: Figleaf on January 14, 2009, 10:55:26 PM
I have had the opportunity to attract Mr. Lansen's attention to this piece. A better picture would be much appreciated.

Peter

He wouldn't happen to have any cheap copies of his book would he? :)

Rangnath

That is one COOL looking token!!!!
richie

Figleaf

Mr. Lansen's opinion:

Pearl border is incomplete, letters are not well aligned, "gut für" should have been within the triangle and the "Co." behind "gut für" has no meaning at all in the text (it is the English equivalent of the German UNTERNEHMUNG). Letters in Bandar Poeloe are not the same as in UNTERNEHMUNG. I would consider this a modern fantasy. All tokens in German were produced by Herrings, who was very precise with his language. This fantasy is based on a Herrings token and does not resemble those of Bandar Poeloe. When my book came out in the nineties, a spate of fantasy tokens appeared. I think this is one of them.