Please help identify this coin.

Started by asm, December 29, 2008, 10:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

Here is one more coin which I have not been able to attribute. Could someone please help?
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

BC Numismatics

Amit,
  I think that this coin is a Mogul issue,or it could be an Indian Princely State issue in the name of one of the Mogul Emperors.

Aidan.

Overlord

I see "Shah" at the top of the obverse and part of Falus on the reverse. I have a feeling this could be one of the Princely state issues in the name of Shah Alam II, but from where I'm not sure. Many types listed in my catalog have no illustrations. Among the ones that do have illustrations, a Hyderabad Paisa of Nizam Ali Khan is the closest I can see.

asm

During the monthly coin exchange meet, two dealers read the coin as being one from Bhilwara (Mewad). They were confident but could not give an exact confirmation? Can any one confirm if the tentative attribution is correct?

Amit

BC Numismatics

Amit,
  Posting photos up on Zeno may help.

As to where it is from,I've never heard of Bhilwara,but I have heard of the Bhilwari Paisa though.

Aidan.

asm

Aidan,
Bhilwara is today a small town near Udaipur (about 200 KM) and is known for the vast quantities of Polyester Viscose Fabrics it produces. It was a fudetory to Mewar in the earlier days.

Amit

Overlord

I'm not too sure. The Bhilwara Paisas I have seen have a very distinct mace(gada)-like symbol which I don't see on yours. Check out some examples of Bhilwara Paisas here to see what I mean. Is the mass of your coin around 15.5 g?

Rangnath

I agree with you Overlord. On the other hand, perhaps the dye for the C#3.2, minted in Bhilwara by Mewar, is sufficiently large to produce the paisa here.  The Bhilwari Paisa is in the name of Shah Alam and the layout of the reverse is similar to the coin posted here. 
The Bhilwari Paisa had a long history:  1795 to 1845.  That is a lot of opportunities for the mace to be left off the flan.  I wish Oesho were back.  He is one who knows!
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  There's 2 types of Bhilwari Paisa that are referred to in Krause - the Old Bhilwari Paisa & the New Bhilwari Paisa.

I've got a 1 Paisa from one of the Mewari feudatory states in my collection - the Umardan 1 Paisa from the 1938-41 coinage.It cost me around NZ$2,considering that it seldomly turns up over here.

Aidan.