Author Topic: Bimetallic Coins  (Read 22535 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Bimetallic Coins
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:51:13 AM »
Hi all,
Interestingly,no one has yet started a topic on Bi-metallic coins,though most of the world coin collectors collect bi-metallic coins ;) So,let me start the topic for thematic collection!
More than 115 countries issue (or have issued) bimetallic coins,most famous bi-metallic coins being Euro coins.Obviously,one of the best thematic collection can be built with Bi-metallic coins as theme.
I have started collecting bimetallic coins issued all over the world,currently having about 50 bimetallics from 30 countries,still long way to go,but hopefully,will achieve the goal!
Regards
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Bimetallic Coins
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:11:29 AM »
So what was the first bimetallic coin? Also, I have a tri-metallic coin in my collection. Does that count in your book?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »
Aditya,
  Great Britain,the Falkland Islands,Gibraltar,Guernsey,the Isle of Man,& St. Helena & Ascension have all issued bimetallic 2 Pounds coins for circulation.

Canada has the bimetallic $2 coin.

Zimbabwe used to have a bimetallic $5 coin in circulation until hyperinflation drove it out of circulation.

Both Stoltenhoff Island & Tristan da Cunha have had their own bimetallic 25 Pence coins.

Nightingale Island had a set of 1 Crown medal-coins depicting the Queen Mother,which are coloured,just like some of the Canadian 25c. coins.

Papua New Guinea had the coloured 50 Toea & a bimetallic 2 Kina.

Ghana has a bimetallic 1 Cedi.

Nigeria has the bimetallic 1 & 2 Naira.

Peter,the first bimetallic coins were the English tin Farthings & Halfpennies,which had a copper plug inserted in them.

Aidan.

Offline Miguel.mateo

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:38:41 AM »
I remember a recent post to a link to a site with a PDF catalogue of bimetallic coins.  I want to start that thematic collection, but I want to finish my euro collection first (which is almost completed).

So far I have all bimetallic coins of all european countries (including all commemoratives), Egypt, Phillipinnes, Peru, Canada and Cuba.  Will start with the rest next year.

Does any one has a good site that list all the bimetallic and tri-metallic coins? (hmmm ... if not available, maybe a good reason to start a Wikipedia set of articles :))

Thanks,
Miguel

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »
Try http://www.wbcc-online.com/library.html -- not terribly structured, but with lots of images.

For those who collect "world" coins, that sure is a great help. I don't; my focus is on euro coins and some other European and North American pieces.

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 04:17:25 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for showing interest in bi-metallic coins!
I had read somewhere that first bi-metallic coin was issued by Italy in 1982.
Thailand has already issued a "HUGE" bimetallic series of 52 coins!Although the complete set is really difficult to find,in India,there are some dealers who offer such a set of 48 bimetallic coins for around 3,500-4000 Indian Rupees.
Russia also has a large number of bimetallic Roubles.
Great Britain had issued a Tri metallic coin.
Most of the African countries have issued bi-metallic coins.
Many countries have issued bi-metallic coins in proof sets,the two metals being silver and gold :o
I will try to list the countries issuing bi-metallic coins very soon!
Regards!
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 04:44:40 PM »
In the euro area we have about 100 ... and that is just the regular and commemorative coins. Plus, some € countries have bimetallic collector coins (but those are legal tender in the issuing member state only), such as Austria, Finland, Luxembourg.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 05:17:38 PM »
Yes, Italy issued bimetallic coins first in modern times, but the technique was known to the Romans, who used it only on medals, though. If you include clad coins as bi-metallic (and why not?), the Romans were really the first to issue bi-metallic coins, mainly copper with a silver coating. Just to show that nothing is ever clear cut in numismatics ...

To get your series of Thai coins, don't try to buy them all at the same time. First, sets are more expensive, second, the hun for missing pieces is part of the collecting fun. Instead, I would try to cultivate a Thai who wants to trade Indian coins. This takes patience, but it brings down cost. A simple search in Google on "good traders" coin thai got 326 hits. Look at the good traders list to find people in Thailand. Also, don't forget we have a trading board on this forum.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »
Hi Peter,
Yes,its true that it makes no sense in buying the whole set,but what has happened is not all the bi-metallic coins are common in circulation,and some of the coins are not found in Thailand itself! The reason being increasing interest in bi-metallic coins,and some have low mintage.Surely I will try to contact any such collector from Thailand.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 06:51:40 AM »
Aditya,
  Singapore has had bimetallic $5,but they were not issued for circulation.

Sri Lanka issued a circulating commemorative 10 Rupees to commemorate 50 Years of Independence (which I do have).

Mauritius issued a circulating commemorative 20 Rupees to commemorate 40 Years of the Bank of Mauritius (which I don't have).

Kenya has issued bimetallic 5/-,10/-,20/-,& 40/- coins for circulation.

Somaliland has had 2 bimetallic 500/- medal-coins back in 2005,which depict Yasser Arafat & Yitzak Rabin on separate medal-coins.

Malawi have had a bimetallic 5 Kwacha (which I don't have) & a 10 Kwacha (which I do have).

I'm not sure if Malaysia has had any bimetallic coins or medal-coins,but Hong Kong has the bimetallic $10 coin though.

Aidan.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 08:40:34 AM »
Hi,
Yes,Mauritius has issued a bimetallic coin.(Denomination:20 Rupees).
Hong-Kong has issued seven different types of bi-metallic coins.
Recently,India issued its first ever bimetallic coin of ten Rupees,though I haven't got it yet.
Republic of China has also issued bimetallic coin.
It's a good thing that most of the British Commonwealth Countries are now issuing bimetallic coins,a coin collector will really enjoy collecting them.
Regards,
Aditya.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 10:48:39 AM »
Aditya,
  I'd be interested in seeing what the new Indian bimetallic 10 Rupees coins from India will look like.I understand that a bimetallic 10 Rupees depicting the 'Cross' design was struck,but it has been declared a pattern coin by some authorities.

The Maldive Islands had a bimetallic medal-coin for something like 250 Rufiyaa,which came out in 1996.

I'm amazed that neither Bangladesh nor Pakistan have ever had bimetallic coins.

As to Hong Kong,I'm only aware of the 1994 & 1995 $10 coins with the denomination on the reverse,& the 1997 $10 that depicts a bridge (which came only in sets).

Somaliland's bimetallic medal-coins are of historic interest,not only because of the famous men that they depict,but also because Somaliland is classed as being a British Commonwealth country as well.

Lesotho has had a bimetallic coin,but it has never been listed in Krause.

Of course,I have got the 2004 bimetallic 5 Rand from South Africa,but none of the other dates since then.The obverse inscriptions are changed every year to give every one of the 13 official languages an opportunity to appear on the highest coin in circulation.

Aidan.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 02:52:17 PM »
Hi Aidan,
I am also waiting for the latest Indian bi-metallic coin..It is issued on the occasion of Ter-Cenetary of Gur-Ta Gaddi on 30 Nov. (I have got only this much information).Also,the design of the coin is not given on Mumbai mint's website.
Regarding the first bimetallic with the CROSS: This coin was minted in 2006,but Government has stopped its circulation.This may be because of the design which appeared on the coin was not accepted by people which was there on Two rupees coins.(Natyamudra coins).Some of the collectors do have this bimetallic,and some dealers have this bimetallic for sale,of-course for a very very high price.I don't think that this coin will be put into circulation by government.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:05:31 PM »
Here is the first list of nations which have issued bi-metallic coins.
1.Argentina
2.Austria
3.Baharain
4.Belgium
5.Canada
6.Finland
7.France
8.Germany
9.Ghana
10.Greece
11.Indonesia
12.Iran
13.Ireland
14.Israel
15.Italy
16.Kazakastan
17.Kenya
18.Luxemborg
19.Malta
20.Mexico
21.Netherland
22.Nigeria
23.Philippines
24.Poland
25.Portugal
26.Spain
27.Sri-Lanka
28.Spain
29.Turkey
30.West African States
I have bimetallic coins of above mentioned countries.
31.Thailand
32.Algeria
33.Bulgaria
34.Cuba
35.Lithuania
36.Morocco
37.Mauritius
38.Hong-Kong
39.China
40.Andorra
41.Combodia
42.Egypt
43.Brazil
44.Peru
45.Dominican Republic
46.Jamaica
47.Cyprus
48.Russia
49.Singapore
50.Slovenia
51.Slovakia
52.Vatican
53.Jordan
54.Ecuador
55.India
56.Zimbabwe
57.Yemen Republic
58.Taiwan
59.South Africa
60.Georgia
61.Oman
62.Hungary
63.Great Britain
64.Colombia
65.Czech Republic
66.Keeling Cocos Islands
67.Chile
Please continue with names of other countries issuing bi-metallic coins.Let us check how many countries have issued bimetallic coins.I remembered only these many names.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 07:51:29 PM »
A few more additions to the list:
68.Malaysia
69.Australia
70.Isle of Man
71.Lesotho
72.Saudi Arabia
73.Malawi