Author Topic: Fantasy ducat of Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia  (Read 2107 times)

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
Fantasy ducat of Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:00:13 PM »
An old debt to <k>, I dedicate this topic to him now when I finally wrote it.

Community of Herceg-Bosna was designated in 1991, and became more or less self governing entity after unfortunate religious conflict between Bosniaks and Croats in Bosnia&Herzegovina in late '92, now with final goal of uniting all the Croats in that country. Please note that Herzegovina (southern part of Federation B&H) is historically more or less equal term as Herzeg-Bosnia (complicated and confusing, I know) - name derived from medieval Herzegs (dukes) of course.

In 1993 Herzeg-Bosnia became a republic, although not internationally recognized. After Washington agreement in March 1994 it ceased to exist, creating Federation of Bosnia&Herzegovina, with Croatia as their ally.

This is the map of declared republic within B&H, although you know how it's in wartime, area controlled changes daily.

and on this link you can see all "communities" with Croatian majority at the time in B&H that were planned to join this republic some time.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/hr/thumb/4/40/Hrvatske_zajednice.PNG/619px-Hrvatske_zajednice.PNG

You can read more on inglorious details about it on the WIKI. So let's skip to currency...

Official one was Croatian dinar and kuna, after its introduction. However due to inflation of dinar, German mark was preferred, as in whole B&H, which is one of the reasons Bosnia choose their own mark nowadays, pegged to German mark 1:1.

So - numismatic issues count is ZERO, however, in 1995. a bank from Mostar decided to privately issue a ducat (3,5g of 0.986 gold) bearing name of "Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia", which would be sold as an investment or a souvenir. Only 1000 pieces were struck and locals accepted the issue well, using it as a gifts for occasions like baptisms, weddings and other personal happenings, which makes it very hard to find on the market nowadays.

One side shows coat of arms of the Republic, the other shows a medieval tombstone, one of many similar all around Herzegovina and Dalmatia (Bosnian medieval Kingdom).
(WIKI on tombstones near Stolac.)

Here attached is a photo of this fantasy issue, taken from official website of its designer D. Matausic.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Fantasy ducat of Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
Thank you very much for the kind dedication, natko. This is a fascinating piece of history, which shows that some fantasies are a lot more interesting than others, for historical reasons. That's one piece I would definitely like to own, but it's never going to happen.

Sadly, ethnic tensions are appearing in Europe once more, and this time in Ukraine. Does the name Ukraine have any etymological connection with that of Krajina in Croatia, incidentally?

Excellent post, natko.  8)

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »
Thanks for kind words. Well, I own one from the same reasons you stated. Unfortunately it's the only one I ever saw offered, (even without its orig box), but you never know...maybe it pops out on ebay tomorrow and ends below gold price in your favor...

Does the name Ukraine have any etymological connection with that of Krajina in Croatia, incidentally?

Never thought of it but it is very likely. Krajina is an old term that means/meant borderline or a region near the border. Now when I look at wiki, I got the same meaning for Ukraine. WOW, thanks!  :D

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 02:33:27 PM »
Krajina is an old term that means/meant borderline or a region near the border. Now when I look at wiki, I got the same meaning for Ukraine. WOW, thanks!  :D

"Krajina, Ukraine: one word, one people, one Soviet! (And it's Russian)."

Putin.

Offline Zantetsuken

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 06:37:53 AM »
Beautiful coin 'natko'. I've never seen or heard of these coins before. This proves there is yet much more that needs to be learned about the coins in the world. Both official and fantasy issues. Thanks for sharing.