Jodhpur Takka

Started by asm, December 20, 2008, 11:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

Can some one please help attribute this Jodhpur Coin? I have modified the image as I had made a mistake in matching the obverse and reverse images of the coin before uploading them.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Overlord

As Oesho observed, this could be an anonymous issue struck between 1792 and 1858AD (with Regnal years of Shah Alam II).

Oesho

This is indeed an anonymous takka of Jodhpur State. The year 35 can be recognised on the left image.
On the other image also a date should be visible, but due to the quality of it, I can't recognise anything.
This type of anonymous takkas were struck at Jodhpur city mint as well as at Pali, but for the correct attribution better specimen are required.

asm

Oesho and Overlord, would you advise trying to clean this coin? If yes, what would be the best way. The coin has both dirt/dust as well as chemical corrosion.
Amit

asm

Could this coin be classified as KM#12.2 Dhabu Shahi Takka or some other?
Amit

Oesho

References to KM in respect of Jodhpur State is almost impossible.

BC Numismatics

Jan & Amit,
  It pays to always check both the 18th. & 19th. Century Krause catalogues.It may not be listed in one,but it could be listed in the other.

There is a possibility that it is an unlisted type.

Aidan.

Overlord

Quote from: asm on December 21, 2008, 02:37:48 AM
Oesho and Overlord, would you advise trying to clean this coin? If yes, what would be the best way. The coin has both dirt/dust as well as chemical corrosion.
Amit
I doubt if cleaning will bring out any more of the inscription than is visible right now, but a bath in pure olive oil may help a bit.

asm

Thanks for the information. Will revert if i find improvement after cleaning.