News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Music: Composers on Coins

Started by Miguel.mateo, December 17, 2008, 05:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

On 7th June, Kazakhstan has issued a 500 Tenge Gold coin on Kurmangazy, their national composer.

Kurmangazy Sagyrbaev (Kazakh: Құрманғазы Сағырбайұлы; Russian: Курмангазы Сагырбаев; 1823–1896), was a Kazakh composer, instrumentalist, and folk artist. He is buried in the Astrakhan region of Lower Volga in today's Russian Federation.Sagybraev image has been used on a stamp and on the Kazakhstan 5 Tenge Banknote in the 1990s

izotz

I see you mentioned Tulebayev, but I can't find if you already posted this coin / image.  Just in case :

100 years of Mukan Tulebayev
Kazakhstan 2013 50 tenge

Pabitra

Quote from: izotz on June 14, 2013, 06:17:06 PM
I see you mentioned Tulebayev, but I can't find if you already posted this coin / image.

It was posted as « Reply #119  in this thread on: March 05, 2013, under mistaken head of Ukraine.

Another Composer coin will be issued by Poland on 18th Sept.

Composer Witold Roman Lutosławski was a Polish composer and orchestral conductor. He was one of the major European composers of the 20th century, and one of the preeminent Polish musicians during his last three decades.
He ( 25 January 1913 – 7 February 1994)  earned many international awards and prizes. His compositions (of which he was a notable conductor) include four symphonies, a Concerto for Orchestra, a string quartet, instrumental works, concertos, and orchestral song cycles.
During his youth, Lutosławski studied piano and composition in Warsaw. His early works were influenced by Polish folk music. His style demonstrates a wide range of rich atmospheric textures. He began to develop his own characteristic composition techniques in the late 1950s. His music from this period onwards incorporates his own methods of building harmonies from small groups of musical intervals. It also uses aleatoric processes, in which the rhythmic coordination of parts is subject to an element of chance.
During World War II, after escaping German capture, Lutosławski made a living by playing the piano in Warsaw bars. After the war, Stalinist authorities banned his First Symphony for being "formalist"—allegedly accessible only to an elite. Lutosławski believed such anti-formalism was an unjustified retrograde step, and he resolutely strove to maintain his artistic integrity. In the 1980s, Lutosławski gave artistic support to the Solidarity movement. Near the end of his life, he was awarded the Order of the White Eagle, Poland's highest honour.

Pabitra

Another composer coin

Belarus issued a Commemorative coin on "M. Aginski" on 22 August 2011.

Minted by:The Mint of Poland PLC., Warsaw, Poland

Gold, Alloy standard of gold: 900
Denomination, rubles: 10
Weight of coin, g: 1.00
Fine gold content, g: 0,9
Quality: "proof"
Diameter, mm: 12

The coin is round in shape with a raised rim on the obverse and the reverse. The coin's edge is plain.
The obverse has: in the center — the relief image of the State Coat of Arms of the Republic of Belarus within a circular geometric pattern; inscriptions: at the top — a circumferential inscription: РЭСПУБЛIКА БЕЛАРУСЬ (THE REPUBLIC OF BELARUS), at the bottom — the denomination: 10 РУБЛЁЎ (10 RUBLES) and the year of issue; in the left-hand part — the alloy standard; and in the right-hand part — the trademark of the Mint of Poland PLC.
The reverse has: in the center — the portrait of M. Aginski, a Belarusian, Polish, and Russian political figure and a famous composer; and at the bottom — a facsimile of his signature: Michał Kleofas Ogiński.

Michał Kleofas Ogiński (Lithuanian: Mykolas Kleopas Oginskis, Belarusian: Міхал Клеафас Агінскі) (25 September 1765 - 15 October 1833)[Ogiński served as an adviser to King Stanisław August Poniatowski and supported him during the Great Sejm of 1788–1792. After 1790, he was dispatched to Hague as a diplomatic representative of Poland in the Netherlands and was Polish agent in Constantinople and Paris. In 1793, he was nominated to the office of the Treasurer in Lithuania. During Kościuszko Uprising in 1794, Ogiński commanded his own unit. After the insurrection was suppressed, he emigrated to France, where he sought Napoleon's support for the Polish cause. At that period he saw a creation of the Duchy of Warsaw by the Emperor as a stepping stone to eventual full independence of Poland, and dedicated his only opera, Zelis et Valcour, to Napoleon. In 1810, Ogiński withdrew from political activity in exile and disappointed with Napoleon returned to Vilna. Andrzej Jerzy Czartoryski introduced him to Tsar Alexander I, who made Ogiński a Russian Senator. Ogiński tried in vain to convince the Tsar to rebuild the Polish State. He moved abroad in 1815 and died in 1833 in Florence.
As a composer, he is best known for his polonaise Pożegnanie Ojczyzny (Farewell to Country), written on the occasion of his emigration to western Europe after the failure of the Kościuszko Uprising.

Alan, I am currently working on Belarus so more composers coins will be reported later.

Pabitra

Belarus issued two Commemorative coins "Napoleon Orda. The 200th Anniversary"  on 6 February 2007

Minted by:The Mint of Poland PLC., Warsaw, Poland

Silver, Alloy standard of silver: 925
Denomination, rubles: 20
Weight of coin, g: 33.63
Fine silver content, g: 31,1
Quality: "proof"
Diameter, mm: 38,61

Copper–nickel
Denomination, rubles: 1
Weight of coin, g: 13.16
Quality: "proof–like"
Diameter, mm: 32

The coins are round in shape with the raised rim on the obverse and the reverse. The coins' edge is grained.
The obverse has: at the top – the relief image of the State Coat of Arms of the Republic of Belarus, in the center – the fragments of the architecture and landscape views of Belarus reproduced from the drawings by N. Orda on the stylized staff, on the right – the year of issue (alloy standard shown in the left–hand part of the silver coin); and circumferential inscriptions: at the top – РЭСПУБЛИКА БЕЛАРУСЬ (THE REPUBLIC OF BELARUS) and at the bottom – 20 РУБЛЁЎ (20 RUBLES) on the silver coin and 1 РУБЕЛЬ (1 RUBLE) on the copper–nickel coin.
The reverse has: in the center – the relief portrait of Napoleon Orda, an outstanding artist, composer, and publicist, against the background of bow lines and scattered musical notes; and at the bottom – circumferential inscriptions engraved in two lines: 1807–1883 and НАПАЛЕОН ОРДА (NAPOLEON ORDA).

Napoleon Orda (Belarusian: Напалео́н О́рда)(February 11, 1807 – April 26, 1883) was a Polish-Lithuanian musician, pianist, composer and artist.He travelled through many European countries, including Italy and Switzerland. Finally in 1833, he settled in Paris, where he became one of the prominent members of the Polish diaspora there and one of the close friends of Fryderyk Chopin. He studied piano play under the guidance of Chopin and Franz Liszt and wrote several mazurkas, waltzes and polonaises.

Pabitra

Alglasser,

Quite a long silence. Hope everything is fine.

Latvia has issued a coin on Jāzeps Vītols.

Jāzeps Vītols (German: Joseph Wihtol; July 26, 1863, Valmiera – April 24, 1948, Lübeck) was a Latvian composer.
In 1918, Vītols returned from Russia to his newly independent Latvia to conduct the Latvian National Opera. The following year, he established the first Latvian Conservatory of Music, which was later renamed the Jāzeps Vītols Latvian Academy of Music in his honor, and he ran the composition classes there between 1919 and 1944. His most prominent students during his tenure were Jānis Ivanovsand Ādolfs Skulte. He also helped co-found the Latvian Composers' Society in 1923. In 1944, he moved to Lübeck in Germany and lived there until his death in 1948. His remains were returned to Riga in 1993.

His choral music, especially Gaismas pils (The Castle of Light) is very popular with Latvian choirs, and is often included in the repertoire of the Latvian Song and Dance Festival. Vītols vocal and choral works are published by Musica Baltica Ltd in Riga.

He is considered to be the father of a distinctively Latvian classical music, being the first Latvian composer to achieve international stature. His work reveals the undeniable influence of his teacher Rimsky-Korsakov, not least in the brilliance of its orchestration, an assessment which was shared by Vītols' friend and fellow composer Alexander Glazunov. During his time in Russia, Vītols became deeply interested in Latvian folklore and conducted the Latvian Choir in Saint Petersburg. His melodies clearly draw upon his heritage, and often directly feature Latvian folk tunes. In striving to forge a musical style for Latvia, Vītols emulated the processes of the Russian national school. His large-scale works, which are mostly cast in sonata form, are often characterized by impressive dramatic development.

chrisild

Alan Glasser

Pabitra and Chrisild, and everyone reading this post. Hello, and thanks for your posts on Vitols. My apologies for not replying sooner. Actually, I have (quite happily) been SO busy with a very enjoyable but demanding part time job. Collecting has taken a back seat but I am posting here a few new acquisitions that I haven't gotten around to putting in the albums in the bank until last Friday. Please excuse the bad quality of the photos...I can't redo them because the coins are not here. The job continues through the first half of August and then I hope to have more time to devote to coins and friends here on the board. Oh, I have 1 new Peruvian Silver Nuevo sol that I have added to the Peru collection. The photos are in the Peru Topic.  My goal is to complete the series of Nuevo soles. Some are not listed so I am "shooting in the dark" and there seems to be some stiff competition for these on E-Bay. I enjoy a challenge.

Best wishes all from Alan in the U.S.A.

The first coin is a Russian 2 Rouble piece dated 2013 and honoring composer A.S. Dargomyzhsky
The second coin is from Germany dated 2013 and honoring composer Richard Wagner. Latvia has also issued a coin commemorating Wagner. I am waiting for an offer of a bit of a better price before I add it to the collection.
The last coin is from Hungary dated 1961. It is a 100 Forint gold piece honoring composer Bela Bartok.  KM-564

Uploaded with ImageShack.us]

Pabitra

Quote from: alglasser on May 19, 2013, 12:08:11 AM
Hello everyone. Here is a new addition to my composer set that arrived today. By chance I spotted it on E-Bay as I had not known of its existence previously.  It is 2 Dinars of Andorra featuring Frederic Chopin dated 2009. It is not listed in SCWC or on the NGC World Coin site. Not my favorite image of Chopin to be sure. He kinda' looks like he needs the bathroom...really badly!

As a matter of fact, a set of four coins were issued to mark one important year in his life.
here are the images

Pabitra

Has this coin from Paraguay been covered?

Pabitra

What about this coin from Turkey?

Pabitra

OR this one from Switzerland?

Pabitra

Or these two from Ukraine?

Pabitra

I have this coin as Germany 10 Marks 2001.

I do not have much idea about this composer.

Can some one tell me if the design shows his actual composition or is it only a decorative design.

chrisild

Lortzing's most famous works are listed in the edge inscription. :) The depicted notes, however, are from "Faust II" (LoWV op. A6).

Christian