Author Topic: Egyptian 5 piastres 1972, counterstamped or what?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Egyptian 5 piastres 1972, counterstamped or what?
« on: May 04, 2007, 12:27:46 AM »
In principle, this coin (it's not mine, the owner has agreed that it be placed here) is a pleasant Egyptian 5 piasters 1972. However, it has been marked. Can an Arabic reader help out?

Peter
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:54:20 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Harald

• Monetary History & Numismatic Linguistics
Re: Egyptian 5 piastres 1972, counterstamped or what?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 01:48:43 PM »
to me the counterstamp (which is BTW upside down) could read: "l? ˤai", meaning "not weak, not tired". but of course it might as well be an abbreviation or acronym reading "lim-'alif-ˤain-ya".

there is an opposition movement against the quasi-eternal rule of president Mubaraq which uses the slogan "kifaya!", meaning "enough!". perhaps they are using counterstamps to propagate their ideas. just guessing, of course...
http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 03:12:39 PM »
Without any science to back me up I go for the last option.

By defacing the coin you strike at the government, which has to replace it, while spreading your propaganda. Nervous citizens want to spend the coin as quickly as possible for fear of overzealous policemen and their uncouth interrogation methods, driving home the message of lack of liberty.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 06:28:51 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline muntenman

• SPERAMUS MELIORA RESURGET CINERIBUS
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 11:03:54 PM »
Never did saw this at coins... but maybe it is the lighting of the photograph, but in the eagle I sea a small logo of a company firm? Madness sung about them in the eighties: Floats off down the river Nile... Nightboat to Cairo. Couldn't it be a local ship and trading merchant witch makes it shipmoney? Intrigating though... ???
GLOBAL MODERATOR under the name of GRIVNAGOZER at www.munthunter.nl

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 11:20:06 PM »
Yes, there is a bar across the wings and the breast shield. No idea what it means or adds...

Peter