Paisa of the Maratha Confederacy

Started by asm, December 16, 2008, 05:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

Can some one please help identify this coin? There is not much information by way of words on this one.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

BC Numismatics

I'm not sure which Indian Princely State issued a Paisa depicting a fish.

Aidan.

Oesho

Most of the so-called Do-dundi paisa are generaly attributed to the Bhonsla Rajas of Nagpur, but at other mints similar coins were struck by the Marathas (See Poona). Unfortunately I am presently not able to provide a correct attribution.

Rangnath

Thanks Oesho.  By a correct attribution, do you mean the mint?  Were not the Bhonsla Rajas of Nagpur part of the Maratha Confederacy? Is it correct to say that this coin was minted by the Maratha Confederacy, mint unknown?
richie

Oesho

Dear Richie,
I would have loved to be more precise, but the suggestion of you is the best, for the time being, we can made of it .

Rangnath

I confess that it is only recently that I have begun to understand just how important identifying the mint can be. 
Richie

asm

Oesho and Richie, Thanks a lot for the information. In case, even later, it is possible to assign this coin to a perticular mint or period, I would be grateful. I have increased my knowledge considerably since the time I joind this forum.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"