Author Topic: Western Satraps/Kshatrapas - Damasena - 153? SE (231? CE)  (Read 1061 times)

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Western Satraps/Kshatrapas - Damasena - 153? SE (231? CE)
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:06:25 AM »
Following my earlier posts on Western Kshatrapas, here's another one with unambiguous legends.

Damasena (144-160 SE, 222-238 CE), son of Rudrasimha I
AR Drachm, 153? SE (231? CE)

2.50 grams
Fishman# 18.2.153?
ex. Robert Tye
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:41:03 PM by THCoins »
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Re: Western Satraps/Kshatrapas - Damasena - 153? SE (231? CE)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:07:46 AM »
And here's the translated legends. 

Can someone please help me with the date?  Is my guess wrong?

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »
Agree with your reading. Picture is a bit to small to be ceratin about the date. Could be SE 152 or 153.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »
OK, the Damasena part is easy. That's the name of the feller. I presume Rajno Maha-Ksatrapasa is his title. I would have guessed Rudrasihasa is daddy Rudrasimha, but here, I start getting into trouble. Wikipedia has only one Damasena. The dates of his reign are given as 223-232, so we're obviously looking at another dating system, because the 152/3 on the coin doesn't fit. Worse, Rudrasimha is not one, but four rules away (175-188 and 191-197). Dates are still close enough, but the intervening rulers are apparently all members of the same dynasty. Them must have been interesting times... Putrasa may be for the family relation. If so, Rajno Maha-Ksatrapasa is daddy's title.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »
OK, the Damasena part is easy. That's the name of the feller. I presume Rajno Maha-Ksatrapasa is his title. I would have guessed Rudrasihasa is daddy Rudrasimha, but here, I start getting into trouble. Wikipedia has only one Damasena. The dates of his reign are given as 223-232, so we're obviously looking at another dating system, because the 152/3 on the coin doesn't fit. Worse, Rudrasimha is not one, but four rules away (175-188 and 191-197). Dates are still close enough, but the intervening rulers are apparently all members of the same dynasty. Them must have been interesting times... Putrasa may be for the family relation. If so, Rajno Maha-Ksatrapasa is daddy's title.

Peter

Here's what I have learned so far:

* Right!  Damasena is the son.  Rudrasimha (I) is the daddy.  Both are titled Rajno Maha Kshatrapa (literally, King Great Satrap).
* Putrasa means 'son of'.  (It is a Brahmi/Sankskrit/Hindi/etc. word still is use; putra=son.) 
* The WKs followed a dating system based on the Saka celendar (Saka era, or SE).  The Saka calendar starts at 78 CE. 
* I see that Wiki and Fishman reign dates for Damasena do not match, but I am willing to trust Fishman more.  Anyhow, there is a significant overlap and only the edges are "misaligned".
* The WKs did not always inherit father to son, but father -> younger brother -> even younger brother -> ... -> eldest son in family -> his younger brother -> ...  So the four (six according to Fishman) rulers in between were uncles, brothers, and cousins.  Apparently this system of lateral succession (vs. linear) ensured a mature, age-appropriate king on the throne. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:56:44 PM by cmerc »

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:58:26 PM »
Agree with your reading. Picture is a bit to small to be ceratin about the date. Could be SE 152 or 153.

Sorry, my camera is out of commission so had to use the dealer images.  I was  bit more worried about the '50'.  Thanks!