Madurai or Tanjore or Tinnevelly Kasu or Something else?

Started by Rangnath, December 12, 2008, 11:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

The coin is small, 10 mm by 8 mm and light, .9 grams. 
I imagine that I see two figures on an animal on the obverse. On the reverse? Possibly the abstact Kannada script for Sri VIRA.  And maybe not.  It is enclosed or framed with an interesting starburst pattern, the like of which I have not seen in Madurai coins. 
From Madurai, Km 10 is a coin on the obverse which is similar to this coin.  The catalog describes it as "a stylized deity on horseback to right". 
From Tinnevelly, Km 2 (with no illustration or example), the coin is described as "2 deities on horseback" with the reverse as "Sri Vira".  Hmmm.  Sounds a little like this one, no? The weight of this coin was listed as 1.4 to 1.5 grams. 
Tanjore has a coin with a Garuda, but not one ridden by a Deity and besides, this animal looks like it is galloping; a horse not a bird.
richie

Overlord

The chromosomal alignment on the reverse seems to indicate metaphase I of meiosis:P
I'm hoping the recent surge in interest in South Indian coins (thanks to Quant.Geek) may see a few like this attributed. Here is another that was alleged to have extraterrestrial links, but may well turn out to have more South Indianly origins.