Author Topic: Japanese 500 yen commemorative coins circulate?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
Japanese 500 yen commemorative coins circulate?
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »
I'm off to Japan in a few weeks and was wondering if any of the 500 yen commemorative coins circulate or not. I know they have a normal coins, but I've seen all these commemoratives and both bi-metallic and mono-metallic coins.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »
I guess the monometallic (nickel brass?) circulate (to a small extent only) but the bimetallic issues do not circulate at-all as their specifications are not compatible with coin vending machines and mintage numbers are small. You can, however, get them for face value from bank / post office immediately after they are issued.

If I'm not wrong, 4 new coins will be issued next couple of weeks...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
Re: Japanese 500 yen commemorative coins circulate?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »
Thanks. High costing commemorative coins drive me nuts, in Norway I was trying to get them and you really have to try hard to buy small items with big bills and stuff like that. I'll see what I can get.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »
You might like to look for the latest four in the series (Kagoshima, Okayama, Shizuoka and Yamanashi) which were issued on January 15. 8)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
Re: Japanese 500 yen commemorative coins circulate?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
Well after 2 weeks in Japan I got exactly zero commemoratives, I also go zero 500yen coins before year 12, when they added the new security feature.