Author Topic: Western Satraps/Kshatrapas - Rudrasena III - c. 280-293 SE (c. 358-371 CE)  (Read 3371 times)

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Got Alex Fishman's book on silver coinage of the Western Satraps today.  To familiarize myself with using the book, I attributed a coin. 

Western Satraps/Kshatrapas
Rudrasena III, son of Rudraman II

2xx SE, Type-II (c. 280-293 SE = c. 358-371 CE)
2.12 grams
Fishman#34.2.2xx

The reverse legend is probably a stylized "cursive" form, characteristic of Rudrasena's coins from around 280-285 SE (Saka era).  This somewhat crude legend may be a bit difficult to read, and it took me better part of an hour to decipher and convince myself.  The '200' symbol can be seen on the rev, but the following numerals are off flan.  The pictures show the coin and the transcription.  Please correct any mistakes you see. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:44:23 PM by THCoins »
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
What a beautiful coin! Simply took my breath away.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Congratulations on your ability to read this script, cmerc. I am personally gratified when I see people get inspired like this and develop their numismatic skills. Overlord and THCoins have already shown how much fun and how useful it is to be able to read these coins. Welcome to that select club. May it prosper.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Hi cmerc, congratulations on your first full transcription !
As you say, you didn't make it easy on yourself, for Rudrasena III's coins often have an ill-defined type of lettering.

If you feel up to another challenge ? how about this one :

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
What a beautiful coin! Simply took my breath away.
Thanks Mitresh Ji!  The quality of your coins is something I aspire to reach someday.

Congratulations on your ability to read this script, cmerc. I am personally gratified when I see people get inspired like this and develop their numismatic skills. Overlord and THCoins have already shown how much fun and how useful it is to be able to read these coins. Welcome to that select club. May it prosper.

Peter
Thanks Peter!  Reading these coins are indeed a lot of fun.  Anthony (THCoins) was my mentor for learning Brahmi, he started me off with the right papers.  Now I shall see if I get his test right. 

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Hi cmerc, congratulations on your first full transcription !
As you say, you didn't make it easy on yourself, for Rudrasena III's coins often have an ill-defined type of lettering.

If you feel up to another challenge ? how about this one :

Let's see if I get it right :D

RaJna MaHa KsaTraPaSa RuDraSiHa(Na?)Sa PuTraSa RaJna RaJna MaHa KsaTraPaSa DaMaSeNaSa

King Great Satrap Rudrasimha (I) (father) son is King Great Satrap Damasena (son)

Date: 152 (maybe 153) SE, so the attribution fits!

Beautiful coin, it is a pleasure to read such coins! 

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Well, it was not really a test, but you passed with honors !

In RuDraSiHaSa you can see it must be a Ha because of the curve. Also it does not have the sideshoot as the Na in DaMaSeNaSa.

The Jna in RaJna is not a Jna, but a Jno. If you look at your Rudrasena, you will see that the Jna has a top shaped like an E.
In this one the middle bar of the E goes back to the base at the top, making it a Jno.

The year is indeed 152 SE. In this specific period the 3 would have been three stripes in one vertical row.

But that's all "fornicare formici" as the Dutch proverb says ! Hope you enjoy yourself attributing many more !

Anthony

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Thank you Anthony!  I still have trouble with the vowel marks, e.g., Jno vs. Jna.  At this point I can barely recognize the alphabets, and fill the unknown ones via guesswork and elimination.  Getting better though!

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Luckily a lot of the vowel modifiers are simply omitted in the coin inscriptions. So there will alway be some guessing !  ;D

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Fantastic thread with very enriching discussion. Keep it going folks, I wish to get on the bandwagon soon!

Cmerc - How would you recommend the Alex Fishman book?
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Re: Western Satraps/Kshatrapas - Rudrasena III - c. 280-293 SE (c. 358-371 CE)
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 09:35:22 AM »
Cmerc - How would you recommend the Alex Fishman book?

Highly!  Thoroughly researched with excellent pictures, illustrations, and photos.