Author Topic: Afghan civic copper ?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline frech001

• 66 and Retired
Afghan civic copper ?
« on: January 04, 2014, 03:36:20 PM »
This is the second of the two coin that I believe are from one of the Native States of India.  This is a hammered coin approximately 18.5 mm in diameter weighing approximately 6.7 grams.  I would appreciate any help  identifying it.

I'm having trouble sizing the image to correspond with the forum's optimum view size.  My posted print size was approximately 4 inches but when posted it becomes much larger.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I scaled this image back in resolution to conform with the >65K requirement but I've tried to retain the resolution.

Allen

Edit: been so free to resize pictures for you to improve visibility
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:32:45 PM by saro »
frech001

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Afghan civic copper identified
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »
Looks like a coin that was overstruck on an earlier type. My knee-jerk reaction would be Afghan civic issue.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »
Looks like a coin that was overstruck on an earlier type. My knee-jerk reaction would be Afghan civic issue.

Peter

I would suggest the same, some of these are so overstruck that all the legend is lost  :o
Vic

Offline frech001

• 66 and Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:00:48 AM »
Thanks for your expert observations.  This coin was in a commercial plastic holder with four others labelled as genuine coins from India Princely States.  The other four coins have all been from the 1800s and were confirmed to be from India Native States.  I've added scans of this coin to supplement the photos which were taken with a macro lens and oblique lighting to enhance details.  Sometimes this gives a distorted image exaggerating details.  Does this help?

Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to scale the images to fit the forum better.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Al
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:49:53 AM by frech001 »
frech001

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:47:23 AM »
Another Afghan civic copper for sure, I've taken your photo & used Photoscape to circle crop it & enhance the image, Photoscape is free to use but some download sites add  stuff like Google Chrome so search for Photoscapes own website & download it from there
Vic

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 06:31:48 PM »
I have created the following topics from this one and moved them:

Kashmir coin needing identification

F-Spot and Photoscape
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.