Copper Paisa from Tonk

Started by mtayal, December 06, 2008, 11:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtayal

Please help attribute this coin. I believe this is from Tonk a small place on the way from Delhi to Pilani in Rajashthan.

Overlord

Yes this is a Tonk state Paisa in the names of George V and Muhammad Saadat Ali Khan. The year is 1350Ah or 1932 AD.

Rangnath

Nice looking coin!
I would bet that you took the photo of the coin under incandescent light, which can yellow the appearance of copper.  If I am right, the coin would look even better if taken under natural light; at least that is what happens to me when I need to take a photo of a copper coin at night.
richie

mtayal

Richie,

You are right. The picture was taken at night under incandescent light. I will take fresh picture tomorrow morning under natural light and see the difference.

Rangnath

Forgive me my sense of humor, and my interest in symbolism.  There are 10 rosettes in the Obverse of the coin.  What does "10" represent in the history of Tonk? 
I tried to find out.  Surely "12" would have been a better number.

As per the history, Jaipur's King Man Singh  conquered Tari & Tokra Janpad in the regime of  Akbar. In 1643 twelve village of Tokra janpad given to Bhola Brahmin . Later Bhola gave a name to  these twelve villages as  'Tonk '.

If I'm right, the coin should have looked like this:

richie

BC Numismatics

Mahesh,
  There are 2 sizes for this coin - the large size type (which was actually struck in 1932),& the small size type (dated 1932,but actually struck in 1934!).

Which coin is yours? I have got both coins in my collection.

Aidan.

BC Numismatics

Mahesh,
  Did you look at your Tonkese 1 Paisa coins? Is the one in the photos the large coin or the small coin?

Aidan.

shariqkhan

Rangnath

The toning of your coin is quite beautiful Shariq.  I'll post it here for simplicity's sake.
richie

Figleaf

These coins are tricky to grade. One indeed has a good patina, so that the details come out much better, but watch out for actual wear. Look at the leaf. It has two lines inside. On the top coin, these lines are complete, on the bottom coin part of the inner line is missing, part of the outer line is vague. Personally, I don't think grading is very important on these coins. However, I think one is not much better than the other.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Peter,
  Despite what people think,the Tonkese 1 Paisa coins are NOT common at all.They are getting more & more difficult to find.I was lucky to have found mine a few years ago.

Aidan.