Jind Rupee, commemorative, Maharaja Ranbir Singh, 1943 AD, ONS NL 49 (June 1977)

Started by Rangnath, December 05, 2008, 06:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

Well, let us try this image.  I realize that the quality of the image is terrible.  What to do?  It is all that I have.
Could this noble rupee be from Jind?
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  I saw the date '1993',which is VS1993.The regnal year is at the top of the same side as the 'VS' date.

I'm not sure if it is a Jhindi coin though.

Aidan.

Oesho

This is definitely Jind, a commemorative rupee. It was struck on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of Raja-i-Rajagan Maharaj Sir Ranbir Singh Rajindra Bahadur (as is full name was). He was born in 1879 and succeedd his grandfather Raghbir Singh on the 3rd. day of March 1887, whilst still a minor and was invested with ruling powers in November 1899. His Golden Jubilee would have been on the 3rd. of March 1937. The dates on the coin are given in the Samvat era, thus 1943 and 1993.
Legend on the obv.:
Jalus 1943 Samat
Golden Jubilee Sarkar Jind
Samat 1993.

The reverse still retains the archaic legend of Ahmad Shah Durrani (1747-72). In AH1164 (AD1751), during the 4th year of the reign of Ahmad Shah Durrani, the chiefs of Patiala, Nabha, Jind and Maler-Kotla received the right to coin and from that day untill 185 years later the same coin legend has been retained. It reads:
Hokum shud as Qadir
Bichoon Beh Ahmad Bad Shah
Sikkah zad bar seem wozar
az owj mahi tabeh Mah

(Commandment cam from the incomparable creator (God) / to the Emperor Ahmad Shah / Strike coins on silver and gold so that its fame / may spread from the fish to the moon )
Ref.: ONS NL 49 (June 1977), Commemorative rupee of Jind State (India) by Jan Lingen.

Rangnath

The dealer who possesses this coin had originally posted the image of the Tonk rupee by error. 
Do you think that he owes Oesho a Tonk You?   ::)
Well, while there is no Tonk to you sir, there is a very sincere Thank You Oesho for the information. I found the translation of the Legend quite interesting, specially the naming of the four Cis-Sutlej states!
What is the meaning of Cis-Sutlej? Does that describe a geographical area? 
This coin receives no mention in the Standard Catalog that I have.  I suppose that should not come as a surprise. 
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  I think that the coin that you've got pictured there is a Nazarana coin.Even if it is,it is still a very nice coin to pick up.

Aidan.

Rangnath

Here's a better image.
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  Are you actually buying this coin? If you are,it would be really great to have some excellent photos of it on here,Zeno,& up on Coin Network.

Aidan.

Rangnath

Aidan,
This image isn't "excellent" but it is much better than those preveiously posted in this thread.
richie