Gwalior Rupee: Ajmir mint, 1815 to 1818

Started by Rangnath, December 03, 2008, 04:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

According to "Coins of the Sindhias", Lingen and Wiggins, the following rupee, 07, was struck between 1815-1818 by Tantia Sindhia, Governor of Ajmer.  When I attempted to locate the coin in the Standard Catalog, I could not. 
After reading AJMIR, and Coinage, on pages 18 and 19 of "Coins of the Sindhias", I realise that the issue of this mint and coin is are a complicated one. I made an attempt to summarize it here, but every time I did so, I suspect I committed errors of history. Suffice it to say that someone is responsible for this coin and the Mughals, Marathas, Rahtors, Jaipur, the British and of course, the Sindhias all played a part.
But why isn't it in the standard catalog?
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  I noticed the '31' on the obverse & the '1202',which is AH1202,on the reverse.

Perhaps your Gwaliori silver 1 Rupee coin is an unrecorded variety that has only been recently reported.

That's a very nice find though.

Aidan.

Oesho

Dear Richie, I am sorry that KM make such a mess of its catalogues. Despite that the coin is issued early 19th century, it has a (frozen)date which falls into the 18th century.
Go for the 18th cent. edition and you find the coin listed as KM#5 (p.785).

Rangnath

Thanks Aidan, for taking notice of the dates.

It is true that the organization of km numbers for Gwalior defies logical explanation! You have probably seen this happen over the years as different cataloging systems were merged and newly discovered issues were added.  Add to that the problem of fantasy and fixed dates and we have what we have. The Standard Catalog does warn us with the following: "The coinage of Gwalior is extremely complicated and not fully understood."   

In all honesty and fairness to me, I did look in both the 19th and 18th century catalogs.  I should have read the description of rupees without images, but I did not.   :-[  That's definitely my weakness. I'm a visual learner and rely on pictures when given a choice. In the future, I will read through ALL the descriptions before deciding that the Gwalior coin of my search is not included.

Another mistake I made is assuming that the coin would be placed under Daulat Rao, 1794 to 1827 AD. I now see that many coins minted in Ajmir were placed under "Hammered Coinage" before the sub-divisions of Rulers beginning with Jayapa Rao, 1745 to 1759 AD.

"Coins of the Sindhias" is absolutely INCREDIBLE!  It is indispensable to the collecting and study of coins from Gwalior and collecting coins from Gwalior is a fantastic pleasure. Thank you so much Oesho.
richie