Another Horse and Bull Jital

Started by Rangnath, December 02, 2008, 12:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

Mahesh's Horse and Bull Jital could not receive a specific attribution.  Is that the same with this one?
The reverse seems quite crypitic to me.
richie

Overlord

I think the reverse needs to be rotated 90 degree clockwise. I wish all my catalogs had clear sketches (like the one by Valentine) instead of poor photographic reproductions in which little or no details can be seen! It would have made identifying one of these a lot easier.

Rangnath

Thanks Overlord.  The rider must have been uncomfortable in that condition.  Try it this way!
richie

Overlord

The reverse shows a horseman escaping after looting a castle, the wall of which he climbed using a ladder (seen just above the shield). The arrow and shuriken fired at the fleeing horseman from the top of the castle can also be seen clearly  :D

Rangnath

You are a gentleman with a keen sense of perception.   ::) 
richie

Overlord

The type of Trishul (trident) on the bull's rump and the symbol on the Jhula (saddle-cloth) should aid in the identification of this one. I did find examples with the same type of reverse, but I have't been able to find this type of trident (with a dot above the middle prong) on any of the examples I have seen.

Rangnath

First, Overlord, your efforts in translating are enthusiastically appreciated!  I am compiling them and look forward to more.
Thanks for taking another look at the jital.  Here is another; this one may have enough of the ruler's name to make an attribution. 
On the obverse, I would guess that it says al-sultan al-a'zam 'ala' al-dunya wa'l din. 
And over the horse?  could it be a piece of "'Ala al-Din Mas'ud?"  That would date it to circa AH 639 to 644.
What do you think?
richie

Overlord

You are very close, Richie. This is a jital of Nasir Al-Din Mahmud (AH 644-664) (R913, Goron D146, Deyell 337, Valentine 177). Your translation is correct, except it reads Nasir (Nun+Alif+Sad+Re) (meaning 'defender'), not Ala. The inscriptions on the horseman side (it's a headless one!) are 'Mahmud' above (Arabic) and 'Sri Hamir' at right (Nagari).

Rangnath

Thanks Overlord.  The Fitzwilliams examples are quite similar to mine.  The attribution seems right.  But, when I look into Goron & Goenka, I can't find it!  Why?  Am I missing it?, or are there too many varieties for G & G to include?, or is simply a problem of the large dye on a small flan?  I have a Dl0 of the same ruler, but it looks quite different from the other one that I have or the Fitz examples.   

What I think is D10 is posted below.

And again thanks for the attribution for the D146 of Nasir al-Din Mahmud.  There's not much of the Nagari visible, is there? But I can see the Mud in Mahmud.

richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on February 01, 2009, 10:17:42 PM
The attribution seems right.  But, when I look into Goron & Goenka, I can't find it!  Why?  Am I missing it?, or are there too many varieties for G & G to include?, or is simply a problem of the large dye on a small flan?  I have a Dl0 of the same ruler, but it looks quite different from the other one that I have or the Fitz examples. 
richie
Yes Richie, you are correct. This coin is certainly not the type you have shown in your last post. I don't have G&G so can't comment on whether or not it includes all varieties. What I do have for these is Living Without Silver by John S. Deyell, which is quite excellent but marred by poor plates.

Rangnath

I have made a mess of this topic Overlord!  If I have time later, I'll divide it up and include our best guess attributions for each coin posted. 
richie