Author Topic: Shahjahan, Rupee. Mint: Surat? AH 1046?  (Read 432 times)

Offline abhijatsharma

Shahjahan, Rupee. Mint: Surat? AH 1046?
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:00:34 PM »
Following coin was found in our farm and I needed some expert advice to confirm what it was.

Unfortunately I only have Krause books and do not know any Arabic/ Urdu/ Farsi - hence the expertise on this forum would be invaluable. I must apologise in advance if any of these coins are inverted as I wont know.

Promise to get more educated with your guidance!

If the expert can guide me with a Krause reference I would be highly obliged. If not any other reference which has an online version/pdf availabe - so I can record it appropriately (yes, Im a bit organised about my hobby :)!

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:04:58 AM by asm »

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Re: Mughal Coins? Pls help identify - Coin 3
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:18:50 PM »
Shahjahan, Rupee. Mint might be Surat but I think its off the flan. Hijri date is not clearly visible due to encrustation but might be AH1046.

Offline jaspersaini

Re: Shahjahan, Rupee. Mint: Surat? AH 1046?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 03:40:24 AM »
I think it's Akbarnagar mint.  Zeno # #197999

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=197999
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:55:13 AM by jaspersaini »

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 03:54:00 AM »
Yes. The mint is indeed Akbarnagar. RY 9. Here is a better image and the mint is on the left quadrant of the reverse (right image).

Amit

PS: Which part of India is your farm located in? It would be interesting to find out how far the coin traveled from the mint.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 03:56:32 AM »
The AH date would be at the bottom left corner of the square part of the left image. A better image or a close up of that part will be helpful.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 10:05:05 AM »
It looks like the encrustation is mud only. If so, you can take the mud off by soaking the coin in warm, soapy water for a day or so and wiping it carefully with soft cloth (I like to use old baby clothes). Don't start wiping until all hard parts of mud have fallen off, or you will make scratches on the coin. Soaking it longer is preferable. Dry thoroughly after this treatment, preferably in sunlight.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.