Author Topic: Mohd Bin Sam: "Bulls-Eye" Type Dirham, G&G D-3  (Read 1600 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Mohd Bin Sam: "Bulls-Eye" Type Dirham, G&G D-3
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:02:47 AM »
Mui'zz al-din Muhammad bin Sam(Mohd Ghori), 1171-1206 AD, Silver Dirham, 4.88g, 30mm, AH 596 (1199-1200 AD), Ghazna mint, "Bulls-Eye" Type, citing the name of his brother Ghiyath al-din Muhammad bin Sam as ruler of the Ghurids, G&G D-3

I think this is the first post at WoC displaying this coin type.

The coin displays the usual flat/weak strike along the edges but still has almost all legend's intact. The arrangement of the legends within 4 concentric circles, each larger than the previous, gives the coin its popular name as the "Bulls-Eye" type. While not rare, it is certainly very scarce as I hardly see any note worthy specimen available for collectors.

The Obverse of the coin cites the name and title of Mohd Ghori's elder brother, Ghiyath al-din Muhammad bin Sam, as ruler of the Ghurids while the reverse bears the name and title of Mui'zz al-din Muhammad bin Sam. The legends also cite verses of the Sura from the Holy Quran.

This coin was NOT minted, or intended for use, in India however since G&G classifies it under Delhi Sultans, Ref: D-3, I have included it in this post for consistency with G&G. It is mentioned in G&G that the "Bulls-Eye" type coin did not circulate by any fixed weight standard but was rather 'mass weighed' for transactions that explains the wide discrepancy in weight for this coin type.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:45:18 PM by capnbirdseye »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Mohd Bin Sam: "Bulls-Eye" Type Dirham, G&G D-6
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Interesting coin!
G&G number for the coin is D3 not D6 which is a gold coin, Goron mentions that D1 - D4, (two gold & two silver) are coins struck in Ghazna & are outside the scope of the catalogue but are listed by way of example only, D5 continues with coins struck in Northern India
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:19:04 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Re: Mohd Bin Sam: "Bulls-Eye" Type Dirham, G&G D-3
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 04:33:33 PM »
Vic, thanks for correcting the G&G attribution. I've modified my original post and the subject header with the correct G&G Reference No.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »
Vic, thanks for correcting the G&G attribution. I've modified my original post and the subject header with the correct G&G Reference No.

I've not seen one like that before, 8) Goron does not list the weight but I guess it's very thin?
Vic

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:38:31 AM »
Yes, Vic. The coin is very thin, almost disc like. I got the feeling if you place it in your palm and blow hard, it will topple over (although I didn't try it!).

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:01:24 AM »
In this thread on the medieval Islamic world board there are two other coins of this attractive type. I didn't find this thread because I sought for Ghorid on the forum, not Ghurid...  Compliments for your example, Mitresh, that doesn't have any of the flat areas that are typical for this dirhem.
-- Paul