A Tankah of Arakan

Started by Rangnath, November 19, 2008, 04:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

The standard Catalog has multiple maps of "India": one for Independent Kingdoms during the Mughal Empire, one for Independent Kingdoms during British rule, one for Princely States and so forth. They include most of modern day Pakistan, India, Banglidesh, Sikkim and Bhutan.  The exception, in the sense that a part of yet another country, modern day Burma, is represented, is the Kingdom of Arakan, located on the Eastern most section of the maps.
Why was Arakan included in this section and not in the section under Burma or Myanmar?  I suppose because of some historical, ethnic and language connections with Kingdoms and States to its North and West. 
This coin weighs 10.1 grams and has a flan about 33 mm across.  I believe it to be Km 12.2. According to the Standard Catalog, the date of the coin is 1645 to 1652 and was minted during the reign of Thado.  In the sometimes reliable Wikipedia, 1645 to 1652 was the reign of Narabadigyi and Thado preceded him.  I haven't a clue which is correct.
richie

Oesho

This is indeed a coin of Thado (1007-1014 BE /AD 1645-1652). The inscription on these coins read (obv. and rev read the same): 1007 / Hsin ni thakin / Hsin byu thakhin / Thado Min Taya (1645 AD, Lord of the Red Elephant, Lord of the White Elephant, Thado King of Righteousness).
Ref.: M. Robinson and L. A. Shaw, The coins and Banknotes of Burma (1980)

Rangnath

what a charming inscription.  Red and white?  Duality? Life and Death? 
Thank you so much Oesho. 
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  Arakan's coins are traditionally listed in Krause under 'Burma',as the Kingdom of Arakan was the most powerful Burmese kingdom prior to the rise to power of the Konbaung Dynasty (whose last ruling monarch was King Thibaw,who was overthrown during the Anglo-Burmese War of 1885,& put under house arrest in Calcutta,where he died in 1916).

Aidan.

Rangnath

thanks for following up on that Aidan.
richie

Oesho

Nice that Aidan referred to this episode of the Burmese history. The Burmese king, Thibaw was interned under the British from 1886 until his death in 1916. He spent his last years of his life in a self-designed palace in Ratnagiri in western India. I will ask Richie to insert a couple of pictures of this palace in Ratnagiri.

Thibaw Palace in Ratnagiri.

Some picture of the former palace of Thibaw, the last king of Burma, in
Ratnagiri:
DSCN0309 & 0310 Interior of the palace including the throne of the former
king.
A close up of the Portrait of the King.
DSCN0321 view from the palace over the front garden, which is presently
being renovated.
DSCN0323 Front of the palace
DSCN0324 Tombs of the last king and queen of Burma which, in due course,
became enclosed by a residential area.

BC Numismatics

Jan,
  Thanks for mentioning that.There was at least one deposed ruler who was placed under house arrest in Calcutta.I must have been getting King Thibaw mixed up with the last King of Kandy (who was overthrown in 1815).

There are still descendants of King Thibaw who are living in Burma.At least one of them has spoken out recently against the current military regime.

Aidan.

Oesho

Rangnath

Thanks Oesho,
The pictures brought to life a very, very sad story. 
Ratnagiri, south of Mumbai, was a long way from home for the royal family. 
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  Those are very nice photos of the palace at Ratnagiri.Have you ever been there? I know of at least 2 people who enjoyed visiting Bombay when they took holidays in India.

Aidan.

Rangnath

No Aidan, I have never been to Ratnagiri.  I did once travel by boat from Mumbai to Goa and was fascinated by the exotic harbors and sailing vessels we observed on route.  Perhaps one of harbors was Ratnagiri.
The place of exile for Thibaw was designed as a Burmese Palace.  The gardens and furnishings seem suited for that.  Oesho mentioned that the King designed the main building.  I wonder where he got his ideas for that.  Is it "Burmese" in style?
richie