Author Topic: Chinese Cash coin.. (Ch'ien Lung variety.. ? )  (Read 1331 times)

Offline $and€r

Chinese Cash coin.. (Ch'ien Lung variety.. ? )
« on: October 24, 2013, 06:55:28 PM »
Yesterday evening I sorted out a few cash coins from China, I think there where laying around for at least a year on my desk.. Because most of the time I have problems to identify them, this particular coin went on the Ch'ien Lung (1736 - 1795) 'pile'.. When looking for the second time I noticed that the left character had an extra stroke.. Now is my Chinese not that good.. ;) and I was wondering if this is an variety?  When searching the internet none of the 'Pao' character of the Ch'ien Lung coins have an extra stroke.. or is this just an 'fantasy' piece? (reverse: Boo Yon)
World-coin collector by date and variations..

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Chinese Cash coin.. (Ch'ien Lung variety.. ? )
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »
I am NOT an expert on these coins!

I went through quite a few pics on the net. I noticed how the top stroke on this character went straight up in most cases, but in a good number of cases it went up diagonally towards the left or the right. If you would combine a stroke going up diagonally to the left (see attachment, note that this coin is in the name of another emperor) with a more angular style, you would get what's your coin.

I also learned from this exercise that there are quite a few styles of these coin. Not surprising, as it was produced for a very long time. Whether you want to call any or all of these differences a variety is up to you. Attention to this level of detail is normally reserved for modern, machine-struck coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline $and€r

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »
I know the Shan Lung 'commemorative' only have 2 upright strokes added to the bottom character..
That's why i thought that this could be maybe some sort of variety.. 

World-coin collector by date and variations..

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 02:14:20 AM »
About your Yunnan coin:   there were some 8 branch mints operating in Yunnan at that time.   Each has privy marks worked into both the obverse and reverse.
Hartill attributes this as Paoshan, which I don't agree with.    The mints were Yunnan-fu (Kunming), Tungchuan old and new mints, Tali, Linan, Kwangsi-fu, Shunning, Paoshan, and Chuching.    Some of the attributions are certain, some not.