Author Topic: Kushan: AE Tetradrachm of Kujula Kadphises (ca 0-50 AD)  (Read 3885 times)

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
Re: Kushan: AE Tetradrachm of Kujula Kadphises (ca 0-50 AD)
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »
Hope this picture will be a good contribution to the topic - the part of mentioned above hoard :)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »
One of the good things about seeing the photo's of the hoard is that it allows you to judge whether all coins are of the same die or not. It is good to see that these are not from one die. This reduces the chance that you were confronted with fakes quite a bit i believe.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
I recently updated my specimen of the Kujula Kadphises copper unit. I want to share it with you, also because of a question Mitresh asked before: It is stated that this coin type is based on the coinage of indo-greek king Hermaios, but issued by Kushan ruler Kujula Kadphises. How do we know ?
I answered that this was based on the legends on both sides. However, the relevant parts of the legends are seldom present on one single coin. My new specimen is such a scarce exception.

The portrait side is actually more worn than my coin shown above. But no-one can miss the name ERMAIOU in greek letters for Hermaios below the bust.
The legend on the other side is in Kharosti (which reads anti-clockwise).
The entire inscription is supposed to read: "Kujula Kasasa Kushana yavugasa dhramatidasa".
Translated: Kujula Kadphises, ruler of the Kushan, upholder of the law. The name part is nicely visible on this specimen as indicated in the transcription below. On the right of the coin also the Dhramatidasa part is visible. However, likely the diemaker ran out of space, as the final "Sa" is absent.