News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Question about USSR 1974 mint set

Started by repindia, September 18, 2013, 06:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

repindia

I recently sold one 1974 mint set and soon had too many questions about providing detailed pictures of the 20k and 15k coins. I immediately knew that there has to be some variety in this set but decided to continue with the auction since I figured out with two committed bidders I would get close to market value for it. The auction closed at $122 and immediately afterwards the winner messaged me saying he needed this particular set only. I smiled knowingly, and told him would mail that only and the same day mailed it off.

Would someone please educate me why this got so much? I guess there is a variety of 20k which is scarce, but don't know the current market value. Did I get ripped off or did okay? I might have made a small profit-- after eBay fees maybe nothing. :-)

Auction number is 190898826805.

repindia

If anyone can post pictures of the varieties of 20k would be great.

repindia

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

milkshakespeare

I don't have the pictures of the 20 kopeck coins, the rarer variety of that date is just so rare. I'm not aware of any varieties of the 15 kopecks 1974, it just happens to be quite a scarce coin. There are some interesting varieties on 3, 2 and 1 kopeck coins too, but I suppose they aren't as well known and highly priced as the higher denominations, while some of them are equally scarce.

The coins in mint sets aren't usually as highly prized as the regular uncirculated coins. The mint sets are relatively easy to get, just try to get a regular circulation issue of  the 15 kopecks of that date...

Globetrotter

I don't think there are any varieties, it's just a rare year.

mkm1968

What was the condition of the coins in the set?
if UNC-BU, then the set was sold very cheaply... what denominations were in the set?

Figleaf

My Russian is pretty bad, but my understanding is that the variety is a mint error, where a die for the 3 kopeks was used to make the 20 kopeks coin. Since the dies for the 3 and the 20 are a little different in size, the upper part of the coin is slightly deformed.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mkm1968

in this case, we were talking about a set of a standard circulation, but in an increased quality of workmanship, which is often a rarity, this year is also considered rare, I gave links to sales of various denominations above ...