Author Topic: ARAB-BYZANTINE?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline vethakan

• Reader
ARAB-BYZANTINE?
« on: November 10, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »
is it arab-byzantine?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:19:49 PM by THCoins »

BC Numismatics

Arab-Byzantine?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:04:20 PM »
This does look like a Byzantine coin.It is possibly an Arab coin derived from a Byzantine coin type.

Aidan.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: ARAB-BYZATINE?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:09:05 PM »
Good pictures and still hard to say if those are arabic or latin letters. What little we have seen in imitation Byzantines seems to be of a different style, with the orignal coin traceable. I wonder if this fascinating piece could have been issued by one of the new state entities in the middle east after the Roman empire lost influence and territory there, such as the Sassanides.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Goodies

• Lx Goodies Muntenboek
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
hi,

Interesting question. The right coin is Constans II. There exist matches in CoinArchives (see below)

The left one I find more difficult ! it looks like a (multiple) overstrike. The typography at 6 o'clock is not Latin, at least I don't recognize the character on the right. On the other hand, I can't provide you with an exact match.

I suspect it is Islamic though.. there is a crescent moon on the right, cut upside down... Compare this one, featuring moons instead of officina markings,

ISLAMIC, Umayyad Caliphate. Uncertain period (pre-reform). AH 41-77 / AD 661-697. Æ Fals (4.11 g, 12h). Type VII. Hims (Emesa) mint. Facing bust of Byzantine emperor, holding globus cruciger; to left, KAΛON; to right, “bi-hims” in Arabic and bird’s-eye / Large m; star flanked by bird’s eyes above; ground line below; Є/M/I С/H/С to left and right; “tayyib” in Arabic above “dumbell” flanked by pellets in exergue. SICA I 538; Walker, Arab-Byzantine 65; Album 110

Some historical backgrounds:

''In late 620s Prophet Muhammad had already managed to unify much of Arabia under Muslim rule, and it was under his leadership that the first Muslim-Byzantine skirmishes took place. Just a few months after Heraclius and the Persian general Shahrbaraz agreed on terms for the withdrawal of Persian troops from occupied Byzantine eastern provinces in 629, Arab and Byzantine troops confronted each other at Mu'tah.[6] Muhammad died in 632 and was succeeded by Abu Bakr, the first Caliph and the undisputed leader of the entire Arab peninsula after the successful Ridda Wars, which resulted in the consolidation of a powerful Muslim state throughout the peninsula.[7]

According to Muslim biographies, in 630 Prophet Muhammed led a force of as many as 30,000 north to Tabouk in present-day northwestern Saudi Arabia, with the intention of engaging the Byzantine army. Though not a battle in the typical sense, if historical the event would represent the first Arab expedition against the Byzantines, which however did not lead to a military confrontation.[9] There is no contemporary Byzantine account of the events, and much of the details come from later Muslim sources.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine-Arab_Wars

e.g. this one here, because it looks like your small piece..

Arab-Byzantine Coins
Umayyads. Imperial Image Coinage
Follis no mint (Jund al-Urdunn) and date (2nd half of 7th century). Constans II standing holding a globe and cross. Rv. m between A/N/A and u/H/E, in exergue Arab. al-wafâ lillâh. Milstein INJ 10, 1988-89, p. 17 no. 18. 3.61 g

:)
Lx
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:58:42 PM by Goodies »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:13 PM »
Thanks, Goodies. I think that Umayyad follis is spot on (in spite of the non-seriffed M) and I agree that the left coin is overstruck on an older coin. I find it unusual for Arab text to follow the round edge of the coin. I would have been more comfortable with a text in straight lines with or without characters of differing size.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.