My personal price structure for coin purchases

Started by Prosit, September 21, 2007, 03:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

My coin price structure in USD:

$1-$10  Can buy for fun of it.

$11-$20 Not every day but if I need it, ok, no problem.

$21-$50 I better pick and choose cause I don't want to upgrade it.

$51-$100 maybe once or twice a year.

$101-$150 Ouch!  need a lot of planning for this one

$151-$240 Maybe three times in my lifetime so far

$241-$500 I can dream can't I?

$500-$1,000  OMG! it ain't going to happen!

$1,001 and higher, I don't even want to look at them.

Dale

Figleaf

I've had something similar, but found it restrictive and simplified it to one amount: ?50. Above, I will buy only for very special reasons, below, no problem. I find some coins (especially modern commemoratives) vastly overpriced: anything available everywhere at over $15 comes into that category. I won't buy them. I would buy a paricularly nice looking coin that fits in my collection for (well) over ?50, though.

I don't work through that many dealer lists any more, though. I get most of my coins from trading for my duplicats. There are no limits there, but I usually trade modern silver of a few euros each for el cheapo's. My collection is also the last resting place (for my time being) of stuff nobody wants: parking tokens, beer tokens, laundromat tokens, coffee machine tokens, amusement machine tokens. I get most of that for free.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

It is just a general guideline to my emotional response to price  ;)  Currently seems I add more tokens and medals as well as add to the every popular "Misc." catagory more often than to my formal coin collection.  The most expensive coin I own was a gift.  And the prosit neujar tokens?  I have hundreds that were given to me for free.  Now that is truely my favorite price catagory  ;D and one of my favorite items as well.  I used to have a trade partner who bought many of the tokens I have for me at flea markets in Graz Austria for at most 0.5 Euro each or sometime even 3 or 4 for a euro.  I never could talk him into giving a bit more for the ones I realy wanted even for the Silver ones.  He just claimed they were not worth it and wouldn't do it.  I bet I got well over a thousand tokens from him over the years. 

He got divorced and lost interest in coins,,,,,,,will hear from him again someday when he settles down I bet (hope).

Dale

bruce61813

I don't have it written, but generally I follow something similar. The exception being, ifI can identify the item as being very hard to find, them I will try and get it. This just happen to a medallion. One on auction went to $61, I could have bought it, but deceided that the 'condition' didn't warrent that price, I may have a hard time finding another, but I turned around and bought another medallion, listed as rare, for about the same price, but it was in super condition. Well it is only money  :-[

bruce