Kutch Kori: Y 14 Two Varieties

Started by Rangnath, October 29, 2008, 07:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

Both Koris are Y 14 (B 89). For this kind of comparison, it would have been better if both koris were similar in grade.  Nonetheless, I find it interesting.  The first coin is SE 1918; the crescent moon is open at top.  The "eight" is barely on the flan and I suppose could be read as a "nine".  The appearance of the moon allows us to read it accurately as an eight.
The second Kori is SE 1919;  The crescent moon is closed, delicately, at the top.
Both Koris were minted during the reign of Pragmalji II, 1860 to 1875 and in the name of Queen Victoria.
Richie

Oesho

Dear Richie, I presume that the first kori is also dated VS 1919. This also agrees with the info in The Price Guide to Coins of Kutch State by Rohit Damji Shah (San José 1999) were this date combinations is given, with both an open crescent and a closed crescent.

Rangnath

I re-read "Coinage of Kutch" by Bright. I made the assumption that in SE 1919, ONLY the variety with the crescent closed at the top was minted. But Bright does not say that specifically.  My error in logic.  Without you, I would have accepted the conclusion I arrived at above as Gospel. Thank you so much. 
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  Those are very nice Kutchi silver 1 Kori coins that you have got there.

I have begun the process of recovery from my very successful gallbladder removal operation.

After I have recovered sufficiently,I will be resuming the process of replacing my original computer power box's C.P.U. & motherboard to be able to rebuild it.

After I have got the power box rebuilt,I will be reinstalling my programs,especially my Windows XP setup,as the file names have to be changed over into my name.

I have every intention of uploading some photos here,including of my Kutchi coins.

Aidan.

Rangnath

That your operation is a success is very good news indeed.  I'm sure all at World of Coins would agree with me when I wish you a very speedy and pain free recovery.
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  Thanks for that.I have got a few Kutchi copper coins that I will have fun scanning & uploading some photos of.

I'm intending to eventually getting my coins stored in the holders that you can buy from http://www.brent-krueger.com ,which are supposed to be P.V.C. free,plus I could slip a card in one of the pockets.

Aidan.