Two variety of Puri Kushan coins

Started by Md. Shariful Islam, August 08, 2013, 01:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Md. Shariful Islam

Here I present two variety of Puri Kushan coins. These coins are very less discussed and found that they were considered as fakes. In fact they were issued by post Kushan rulers of Bengal. I think this coin shows king on the both side which is a variation from original Kushans as on them one side shows deities. This is just a guess without researching in depth.

On the first coin the king is waving his right and and the left hand on the second.

Note: top two images consist of coin 1 and the bottom two for coin 2.

THCoins

Missed this post somehow. These are however lovely coins ! It is also very interesting that, after a period with coins displaying the power and grandure of the ruler, these coins on me make an inpression of friendlyness because of the kind naivity of the design.

Md. Shariful Islam

I translate this in a different hypothesis. This inferior quality coin shows that locals became powerful over externals but lacked knowledge and skills.

Please note: I am uneducated in history.

THCoins

I would not call this inferior quality coins. The aim of the copper coins and higher denominations were completely different.

Copper coins were usually only meant for relatively local trade. They were probably made by the town's blacksmith, thus can not be expected to be to intricate. They changed hands often, so were exposed to rapid wear. For the purpose of daily use these coins were fine. The design is simple , but well recognisable and not to sensitive to wear. The cost of production of a coin generally should not exceed the nominal value of it. Maybe they could have produced  "prettier" coins, but would that not have been an utter waste of resources ?
Also the lower denominations of the Kushan coins are artistically and technically not of the highest level.

On the other hand the gold coinage was far more used for interregional trade. Likely these were also not only used in trade but also for large gifts and bribery. Its purpose was far more to be representative and propaganda pieces for a ruler. The combination of a soft, easilly workable metal with good workmanship will make the gold pieces usually look better. But they are not at all suited for daily commercial use.

Md. Shariful Islam

Nice knowledgeable comments Anthony. Thanks. I am learning everyday. Your knowledge is helping me to learn on these ancient period and coins.

cmerc

Throughout Indian coinage history, Kushan coins have been heavily imitated across North India.  With time, the elegant Kushan design gets more crude, till finally only basic features of Kushan coinage remain.  Your examples are possibly imitations of the Siva-bull types. but with the vanished bull.  (For another example, see the image of 4th-5th century CE Kidarite imitations from Kota Kula, Punjab region, supposed to be Siva-bull type copy.)  Perhaps this shows how influential the Kushan empire may have been, to inspire future centuries to keep copying their coinage. 

Great specimens Tanka daa, I have been trying to acquire a few myself at a reasonable price. 
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Md. Shariful Islam

Please look at the greens on the puri coins? Are this result of bronze disease? Should I clean them?

THCoins

Especially the bright green spots on the lower coin could be. Cleaning and neutralizing the proces would do no harm, so i would likely do this.

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: THCoins on August 16, 2013, 07:31:11 AM
Especially the bright green spots on the lower coin could be. Cleaning and neutralizing the proces would do no harm, so i would likely do this.
Thanks. I shall follow you.

cmerc

I am always unsure about cleaning coins.  I your case, I would prefer to leave it alone, since it is not obscuring any details. 
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

akona20

Bronze disease MUST be neutralised or it will destroy the coin (and others).

ChrisHagen

Great care must be taken to neutralize the bronze disease (verdigris, copper carbonate/chloride) without damaging the patina of the coin.

This page, though seemingly "just an ebay article", is actually really good and describes how to carefully get off the verdigris.

It lists MANY methods and weighs the pros and cons against each other, as well as giving a step-by-step guide.