Gwalior rupee of Daulat Rao, 1794 to 1827: Km 224

Started by Rangnath, October 28, 2008, 08:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

In "Coins of the Sindhias", there are two Ujjain Mint coins similar to the one posted here; a 11.2 gram rupee from Gwalior. One is number 06 (Daulat Rao, 1794 to 1827) and the other is number 11 (Baija Bai, regent for Jankoji Rao Dindhia, 1827 to 1833).  I think that these correspond to Gwalior Km 224 and 227.  Most of the reynal year appears to be off the flan.  Perhaps there is a Five visible, as in 5x?, which would make the coin like number 06 or Km 224?  Could that be correct?
richie

Oesho

Dear Richie, It must be indeed be a rupee struck during the reign of Daulat Rao. L/W #06, KM#224.
The full regnal year is off the flan, but still a part can be seen which is seems to be a 5.
Ry.5 can be ruled out, as that type shows a more bold design and a AH-date next to the loop of Fazl.
Next possibility is Ry.5x. I compared the type with some coins in my collection. It compares favourable with the coins Ry.55 and 64. Coins of this period show a minute mark below Fazl which looks like 1 and a 2. Those small marks are observed only on the coins of this period. Therefore your coin must have been struck with a Ry.5x and can be attributed to the reign of Daulat Rao.

Rangnath

Right or wrong, my investigation would have been rewarding.  Your confirmation that I am actually correct in my assumptions though is very good news.
Thanks so much Oesho.
richie

shariqkhan

Is it minted at Ujjain because second image's bottom legend indicates part of the word Ujjain i.e -"jjain"   

Oesho

Yes, of course, the mint is Dar al-Fath Ujjain, which was one of the mints of Gwalior state. For Richie and me it was so self-evident, that it was not repeated in the next replies, but in the first line of the opening message 'Ujjain' is mentioned.

shariqkhan

I think majority of Sindhia's coins were minted at Ujjain.

Rangnath

Another coin of the same type.  When I first looked at it, I did not see the dagger at all.  I also misread the date. In fact, the "five" is so close to the "seven" that I read the two numbers as one symbol. But I did learn from this experience.
richie