Author Topic: Imperial China, Qing Dynasty: Abkai Fulingga (1616-1625) AE Cash (Hartill-22.2)  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Imperial China, Qing Dynasty: Nurhachi (1616-1626) Abkai Fulingga (Hartill-22.2)

Obv: Abkai Fulingga han jiha (Abkai-fulingga Khan's Money) left, right, top, bottom

Rev: Plain

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:22:57 PM by Quant.Geek »
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Updated picture and legends.  I'll convert this over to Unicode letters once I figure out how to enter them in  ::).  Mongolian is now in Cyrillic and hence the old alphabet is no longer used  :'(
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Especially when you are used to seeing four Chinese characters, this coin is shockingly different. Then again, Nurhaci was too. Once again, a Mongol warlord had grabbed an amazing piece of land. A real piece of history. Are you going to open a museum any time soon?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
Peter, while the script is Manchu, the composition is still Chinese style.   There was a parallel issue using his Chinese reign title "Tian Ming."    That bilingual duality set the tone for their takeover, which was planned and prepared for from this point.   A dual respect for Chinese tradition as well as their own.   Once they were in Beijing, the coins continued on with no change from the Ming except the new reign title, which happened by chance to reflect also in 1644 a new khan.   There is little bad that can be said about their takeover.   They waited patiently for the Ming to collapse, and actually need to invite them, to restore order.