Author Topic: Holiday guide - coin markets  (Read 7519 times)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Holiday guide - coin markets
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »
Amsterdam's coin market is a bit of a sad affair: less than a handful of dealers between a much larger number of stamp dealers. The market is held every Wednesday and Saturday on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal, between Paleisstraat and Spui. I'd recommend it for casual collectors, especially euro collectors, and bargain hunters.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:42:44 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Holiday guide - coin markets
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:46:40 PM »
So far, I know of only one market in Rome where coins are sold: the Sunday market of Porta Portese which boasts some coin dealers. I am not an expert on Roman coins, so I wouldn't buy any Roman stuff there. Modern Italian coins can be found and are cheap. The market is good for token collectors with stamina.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:53:41 PM »
The Paris coin and stamp market is held every Saturday and Sunday on avenue Gabriel (stamps) and the adjoining part of avenue Matignon (coins), just off the Champs-Elysées near the Métro station Champs-Elysées - Clémenceau. The coin part is very informal and small. Don't expect rarities. French coins and cheap, modern non-French stuff is well represented.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:06:47 AM by Figleaf »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:55:53 PM »
The one in Madrid is easy to find - right on Plaza Mayor in the heart of the city (Metro "Sol" or "Opera"). 10-14 h every Sunday as far as I know. Lots of coin dealers in the covered arcades around the square. Stamps too, paper money, historic stocks ... Have been there only one time so far, but it's definitely worth a visit.

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 11:29:39 PM »
The Barcelona coin (and stamp) market is on Plaça Reial, just off the Ramblas on Sundays from 8 am to 3 pm. It's big, there's plenty of choice, but prices seem on the high side to me. I presume the locals bargain, which is difficult for bloody foreigners, since most dealers seem to speak Catalan only. I saw a few imitation 5 peseta coins of the Latin Monetary Union period and as far as I could tell all the Chinese coins were fakes. However, they were a really small minority.

The book market around Mercat de Sant Antoni (Carrer del Comte d'Urgell, also on Sundays from 8 am to 3 pm.) should have a few coin dealers. I found only one, but I bought more coins from him than from all the dealers om Plaça Reial together.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:19:17 AM by Figleaf »

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:55:15 PM »
I am afraid this link is in Spanish, any request for translation is wellcome.

http://www.mundimoneda.com/mercadillos_numismaticos.htm

Non-exhaustive for international markets, but it is quite good for Spain. There is a good tradition for this around here, although most of them are quite little.

As you mentioned, Barcelona and Madrid are (maybe) the best ones. I go to Plaza Mayor (Madrid) once a month. Not only you can find stamps, coins, telephone cards, post-cards, ... but also we sheldom meet a group of collectors there.

Offline Escudos

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 12:42:15 AM »
Lisbon has a nice coin market every sunday in a building close to the train station Cais de Sodre. I guess between 20-30 dealers.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:08:28 AM by Figleaf »

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
You have a luck because from Reunion island we have any coins market , any shop for to buy material , any numismatic club , just each month one second hand market and is exceptionnel to find coins .But i am happy because i have my wife , my daughter  , my grand son and the sun

Offline Gagarin_Andrey

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:54:03 PM »
Ukraine, Kiev
every saturday
subway station Levoberejna, National Exhibition Center, 15 Brovarsky Avenue (Броварський проспект)
Entrance - 2.5$

every sunday
subway station Nyvki, territory of the park "Nyvki"
Entrance - free
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:30:13 AM by Figleaf »
Interests: Eastern Europe Middle Ages coins

My articles about numismatics
https://independent.academia.edu/AndreiBoikoGagarin

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 12:58:14 AM »
The only coin market I am aware of in London is held below Charing Cross station every Saturday. The entrance is impossible to find. Go to Villiers street towards Embankment underground station. Turn right at Embankment place. The entrance is the door to the parking garage, the door with the blue signs on this picture. Follow signs inside.

The market is quite good, but the coins are mainly British, except in the junk boxes.

Peter