News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Next new euro notes to come in 2014

Started by chrisild, June 03, 2013, 02:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

The European Central Bank has published the volume of euro notes to be printed in 2013. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/euro/production/html/index.en.html  Seems that the only denominations that have been/will be produced this year are €10, €20 and €50 notes. And apparently more than half of the volume (4.5 bn notes, total 8 bn) will be "tenners".

Also, 15 national central banks are to commission the production. My guess is that these are the new ("Europa" style) €10 notes.The ECB has stated before that the new notes would be issued in ascending order, ie. €5 first, then €10, then €20 and so on. But we do not know the exact schedule yet ...

Christian

Figleaf

I find the sudden break in the recent upward tendency of €5 notes production interesting. Intuitively, I would expect this to be the denomination that is most in demand.

This may be a sign that somewhere, in the bowels of an obscure building, a group of people is contemplating a €5 coin issue.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

While I would not mind having a €5 circulation coin, it is not going to come, I guess. Seigniorage issues aside, I guess that the same people who oppose any modification of the current coinage setup would also be against such changes. Also, I am not sure what the most popular "paper" denomination is (some statistics are here) - but in my opinion, last year's production, along with the older fivers, will suffice for a while. And if not, production plans can always be adapted. :)

Christian

chrisild

The European Central Bank now has some preliminary info regarding the next denomination that will be "updated". Yes, it's the €10 note, and yes, it will come in 2014. :)

GETTING READY FOR THE NEW €10 (21/10/2013)
The ECB and the central banks of the euro area countries are to introduce the new €10 banknote in 2014. Preparations for the issuance have been under way for several months now.

Have not seen any images of the "new" design yet ...

Christian

chrisild

In a German coin forum I just saw a note about this press release by the Banque de France. Guess it was op-ed stories of this type that the BdF reacted to. Anyway, the most interesting aspect with regard to this very topic is this part of the press release:

L'essentiel de la production de la Banque de France en 2013 a été axé sur la production de billets de 10 euros et de 20 euros de la nouvelle gamme Europe, coupures qui ne seront mises en circulation qu'à compter de 2014.

So does that mean we will get new €10 and new €20 notes next year? Interesting. We'll see. :)

Christian

Bimat

ECB prepares ground for new €10 banknote next year

New €10 note will be the second in the Europa series after the launch of the €5 note this May; new Partnership Programme launched today will seek to smooth its introduction among stakeholders.

Source: Central Banking | 26 Nov 2013

The European Central Bank (ECB) and the national central banks of the eurozone today launched a Partnership Programme to help smooth the introduction of a new €10 note next year.

The new note, joining the €5 note launched this year as part of the Europa series, will be unveiled on January 13, 2014 and will be issued in the second half of the year.

The Partnership Programme is aimed at helping banknote equipment manufacturers and suppliers, as well as clients and users of banknote handling machines and authentication devices, to prepare for the introduction of the new €10 banknote.

Ton Roos, the ECB's director of banknotes, said at the launch of the programme in Brussels today that "the ECB and the national central banks of the euro area look forward to working closely with the manufacturers, suppliers, operators and owners of banknote equipment as they prepare their machines and devices to accept the new €10 banknotes next year".

Under the Partnership Programme, the Eurosystem will:

- provide partners with a range of tools and materials to help them prepare for the introduction of the new banknotes

- communicate extensively about the need to adapt cash-handling machines and authentication devices to the new banknotes

- distribute leaflets about the new banknotes to points of sale across the eurozone at the end of June 2014, ensuring cash handlers have ample opportunity to prepare for their circulation

The Europa series of banknotes is the ECB's second series, and the notes all feature a portrait of Europa – a figure from Greek mythology and the origin of the name of the European continent – in the hologram and the watermark.

The new €5 banknote entered circulation on May 2, 2013 and has several new and enhanced security features to make it more resistant to counterfeiting.

The €5 and €10 notes will also be more durable thanks to a protective coating. A €20 note will follow the €10 note, at a date still to be determined, the ECB said.

Source: Central Banking
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

chrisild

So I suppose that in 2014 we will see updated €10 notes, while the €20 denomination will come a year later. The European Central Bank says the new tenners will be issued "after summer" 2014.

And this ECB page even has a precise date: 23 September 2014. But maybe some website editor just picked that date because it is right after summer. ;)

Christian

Bimat

ECB runs online game to commemorate launch of new EUR10 banknote

The new EUR10 banknote will be unveiled on 13 January 2014 and start circulating later in the year. To draw attention to its security features, the European Central Bank is today launching an online competition for European Union residents over 18 years old.

Players have to uncover four of these features and also guess the number of euro banknotes in circulation in the euro area on 31 December 2013.

The competition opens at 10 a.m. today and closes at 11.59 p.m. CET on 12 January 2014.

Christine Graeff, Director General Communications & Language Services at the ECB, says: "The euro is the most visible and internationally known symbol of a united Europe. 334 million people use euro banknotes every day. This game is a fun way to remind all of us to take a closer look at them".

Source: FinExtra
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Here's the ECB link (in English) for the online game:

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pr/date/2013/html/pr131216.en.html

Replace 'en' by 'es', 'et', fi', 'fr' etc. for other languages...

Aditya

chrisild

Tetris revisited, hehe. But I like it. Note that, while you have to be an EU resident and at least 18 in order to participate in the competition, anybody can play ...

http://www.new-euro-banknotes.eu/

Christian

izotz

I like it too. The game itself is pretty simple, just a Tetris, but I think it is a good way to get this information closer to young people. The prize are just a few banknotes, that is 20 fivers and 80 tenners, which make 900 euro, a tiny amount if you compare that with the cost of developing and maintaining this kind of websites.

I can see you must have a perfect score and a very good time to get the prize.  ::)

chrisild

Ah, but those fivers are special: They are signed by Mario Draghi. Sure, every euro note has a "signature", but here we are talking about an actual hand-written autograph ...

I am not quite sure how one's estimate of the number of euro notes in circulation influences the score. But as long as I win, I don't care. 8)

Christian

izotz

I should read the specs again, but I feel that they will pick the best 100 Tetris scores. That would mean effectively the 100 players, with perfect scores (4800 points in every feature) with the lowest play time. Among them, they will probably pick 20 best guesses for the amount of banknotes to give them the fiver, and the tenner would go for the rest.

chrisild

Quote from: izotz on December 17, 2013, 12:59:07 PM
perfect scores (4800 points in every feature) with the lowest play time

Oh sob ... there goes my hope I could win anything here. ;)  But the game is a nice way of raising awareness.

Christian

chrisild

And here is the new €10 note. Presented today, coming to an ATM or wallet near you in September. :)

Christian