News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bengal Sultanate, Shams al din firuz, tanka

Started by Md. Shariful Islam, May 19, 2013, 11:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Md. Shariful Islam

Here is my new pick of Shams all din Firuz. The harkat (jabar) on the reverse looks different. Comment please. Edge is also interesting.

Md. Shariful Islam

A senior collector of Bengal says it is a mint mark and nothing special in it.

nnasir

Quote from: Tanka on May 19, 2013, 12:25:21 PM
A senior collector of Bengal says it is a mint mark and nothing special in it.

I agree with him. What you have noticed as 'zabar' is actually mint mark. Sometimes these marks appear to be a zabar-like line, sometimes wavy line & sometimes like a bunch of leaves. Similar thing you may observe in all governor period coins specially on Kaikaus, Balban etc.

Rgds
Noman

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: nnasir on May 19, 2013, 12:31:17 PM
I agree with him. What you have noticed as 'zabar' is actually mint mark. Sometimes these marks appear to be a zabar-like line, sometimes wavy line & sometimes like a bunch of leaves. Similar thing you may observe in all governor period coins specially on Kaikaus, Balban etc.

Rgds
Noman

Is there any research on these mint marks? Could u suggest any mint from the symbol as the margin is not readable. I guess I saw this symbol on a Delhi type Mahmud coin. But this cannot be Delhi.

Ansari

Edge is flat!
What is the weight??

nnasir

I am not aware of any comprehensive research except my personal research on available specimens I have seen. This symbols are not all time very consistent. What I have seen the flatter line (like zarb) usually comes in Bang mint coins and leaf symbols usually in Lakhnauti .. Leaf symbols also have several variation available. This observation is based on Shamsuddin Firuj coins.

In case of Kaikaus coins, flat line comes in 689 & 690 (with min kharaz bang) and 691-700 bears the symbol of leaf. There is no other mint except Lakhnauti is known for Kaikaus.

In case of Balban, the occurance of symbols are more complex.

In Shihabuddin Bughda Shah coins, leaf symbols appears in Lakhnauti mint coins & plus/cross symbol in Sunargaon mint coin.

Rgds
Noman

nnasir

Quote from: Ansari on May 19, 2013, 01:06:38 PM
Edge is flat!
What is the weight??

The edge is okay for this type. This is a small flan dumpy type where reverse margin never appears. And the edge looks always flatter.

Rgds
Noman

Md. Shariful Islam

Posted the same on a FB group to cross check.

' I have doubt that this is a mint mark as Goron's catalogue shows that the linear type mark comes from both Lakhnauti and Banga. Again symbol of Lakhnauti coins vary from linear to leaf to others.
Another issue is the mark that is on this coin is not seen on any catalogued by Goron. It is true that 20% should be added. I have searched all coins at the catalogue of Goron and found this mark on the single specimen coin of Shihab all din Bughda and the coin comes from Sunargaon. Firuz shah coin from Sunargaon mint shows linear mark though.
Therefore, I conclude that these are not mint marks but still don't know its meaning. I also want to see more specimen of Firuz shah that has this mark on it.'

Ansari

Similar coin is listed on tody auction--->sultanat section.

Embedding the same:

Md. Shariful Islam

Tariq Bhai thanks. But please note the difference on the symbol above first mim of 'imam' on the reverse. Coin of Todywalla has linear one which common and has on g/g while the symbol on the coin of this thread is different. I still don't know the significance but I think it is important.