Author Topic: The Blacketts of the North-East  (Read 777 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
The Blacketts of the North-East
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:54:07 AM »
This piece is identified, but I wanted to show it anyway. Shop token after 1939 for a furniture and drapery shop: Blackett & Son Limited, High Street, Sunderland, 19 mm. Nobody will confuse it with a regal coin, so the designer took the liberty of shaping the three as on the regal coins.

More information on the Blacketts here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: The Blacketts of the North-East
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 02:45:52 AM »
I have added the penny, brown plastic, 30mm.

A slight problem with the mould as some plastic oozed out at one o'clock.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
She perfectly conserved, malj1, and fortunately a lot easier to photograph than a white token.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »
Excuses!  ;D ...even your link doesn't work.  ::)   >:D

Blackett & Sons was opened in Sunderland in 1826 by William Blackett, a draper. The business grew from a drapery to a full line department store based on the corner of Union & High Street.

Stores were opened in Barnard Castle, Bishop Auckland and Stockton-on-Tees (1939), while they purchased the department store of D Hill, Carter & Company in Hartlepool during the Second World War. In 1963. the Blacketts group of stores was purchased by fellow department store group Hide & Co.

In 1970, the Hartlepool store was closed, becoming a discount superstore before being converted into The Hill Carter hotel. The Stockton on Tee store was sold to Waring and Gillow, a furniture company. The main store in Sunderland closed in 1972 due to the competition of department stores in the town.
From Wikipedia

The second image shows The closing down sale at Blackett's in 1972.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.