Author Topic: Russian Denga coin (1735)  (Read 1842 times)

Offline aristonazir

Russian Denga coin (1735)
« on: March 23, 2013, 12:52:44 AM »
Here is a copper denga coin from Russia, dated 1735. It's diameter is 26 mm. and weights 6.65 g. Unfortunately it has a hole on it. I bought it when i was a little kid from a street market. In 1991, when Soviet Union collapsed, many Greeks, Georgians and Russians who lived there came to Greece. Those days, in street markets you could buy everything: old postcards, silver spoons, optical lens, babuskas, even old Russian coins. And rare ones. If only i had money to spend those days...
I bought this denga coin from a merchant who had a whole plastic bag, full of dengas :o. I had chosen this one, because it was one of the oldest, even if it had a hole. I was 11 years old then. I had begged my mother to lend me some money. The seller told me that if i had enough money, i could buy the hole bag.  :'(
"Η πενία πολλών εστιν ενδεής, η δ’ απληστία πάντων".
"Poverty is lack of many things and greed of all"

Aristotle

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Russian Denga coin (1735)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
Actually, there is a good chance that the hole was made in Greece, during the Ottoman occupation, so that it could be worn in or on the clothes. The double-headed eagle is a symbol used by the Greek orthodox church.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.