Author Topic: Possible Libya photo mix up in SCWC  (Read 1018 times)

Offline alglasser

• Meritorious Member
Possible Libya photo mix up in SCWC
« on: March 18, 2013, 03:24:29 PM »
In going through my "childhood collection" of world coins, I believe I may have discovered an error in SCWC listings for Libya KM-1 and KM-4. Is it possible that the photos of the 2 coins are reversed in the catalog? I base this on the fact that the bronze coin (KM-1) is significantly smaller in hand than the copper-nickel coin of the same date and denomination (KM-4). No big deal...the catalogs are a wonderful resource...but maybe this could reach the attention of the compilers?
Have a great day everyone. Alan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Possible Libya photo mix up in SCWC
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 06:19:45 PM »
Using the 36th edition, the pictures are correct. Note that below the denomination (the slightly curved vertical line) is a different word in Arabic on KM 1 and KM 4. If that's not enough, there is a denomination in English at 6 o'clock on the same side.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline alglasser

• Meritorious Member
Re: Possible Libya photo mix up in SCWC
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Hello Peter. I'm glad to know that you are checking on my "discoveries" to make sure they are accurate when I post them. Thanks! Referencing the 38th edition of SCWC;

I measured my KM-1 bronze coin and it measures 17.462 mm. The illustration for KM-1 measures 20.637 mm but is listed at 18mm (very close to 17.462mm).

My coin KM-4 (copper nickel) measures 19.050 mm but the photo measures 17.462 mm, the size of the K-1 coin and KM-4 photo. No measurement number is provided in the SCWC for KM-4. 

So...my "brilliant"  conclusion  :o, the photos of the features of the coins (thanks for pointing out the writing under the denomination) are correct, but the SIZE of the KM-4 photo is that of the KM-1 coin. The size of the KM-1 coin photo is wrong all together.

Ah...such hard work is making me crave some chocolate...then it's off to teach my piano students.  :)

Many thanks Peter.   Alan