"Interesting" New Niue Issue

Started by Alan Glasser, February 27, 2013, 08:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Glasser

I wasn't quite sure where Niue would appear in the "countries" list so please excuse for posting it here. I thought it would be the South Pacific but didn't find it. I'm sorry if I overlooked it.

Anyway...here is an "interesting" new "coin" from Niue. It is something "new and different" for those that collect unusual new issues. I won't buy one but it is interesting to see how it is made. At this point...I'm rather afraid that it won't fit in my notebooks. I do have several coins that don't fit in my notebooks..one that immediately comes to mind is a piece honoring Mozart I have from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Rather unique...mintage of 250, made of Acrylic, face value of 25 francs from 2006 and 14mm in diameter and 2 1/2 mm thick. Weight is 2 pounds 1.7 oz.. It's a "rather large" coin. Watch the video. It's very interesting! Alan

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=yq8fu5lab&v=001p_xH-twv5vXECJVZFCDUvh-SJhLLGskV_n6pXJnaXUNsq0P3OHm2fgpXejb5U3KyGd2iwi5Op7EdJ-a1huQZR-Cnf5WamZfICraykWdOUy15yj4lS3ybPawL7gH-MTNo

translateltd

Definitely South Pacific, but such a tiny spot it's easy to overlook.  We sailed within a mile or two of it on a cruise ship a few years ago between Tonga and the Cook Islands.  I suspect it has more issues of Coin-Like Objects than actual people.

andyg

Quote from: alglasser on February 27, 2013, 08:37:46 PM
14mm in diameter and 2 1/2 mm thick. Weight is 2 pounds 1.7 oz..

think either the weight or the measurements may be a little out.....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Alan Glasser

Hi, Andyg. The weight and masurements are accurate. Can you imagine getting paid in Congo Francs and having to lug a few of thses coins home?  :o  Translateld...thanks for verifying the location of Niue. Coin issues...in the hundreds...population...I'd guess...16???   Alan

andyg

14mm wide and 2.5mm thick is quite titchy,
a US cent is 18mm by 1.75mm (roughly measured!)
now for that to weigh 2 pounds I'm not sure what it would have to be made of.

translateltd

Population 1,398 in 2009 according to Mr. Google, so maybe they still outnumber the coin issues (just).  I suspect there are more Niueans in New Zealand than on their home island now.

As for the mystery size - should the heavy coin be perhaps 14cm (140mm)?  That's getting very big, though - over three times the diameter of a silver dollar.

Alan Glasser

OOOOOOPS! That should be centimeters for the Congo coin!!!! Damn Metric System. Now you know why we don't use it here in the colonies!!!

Alan :P

andyg

So about the size of the text you used then  ;D

14cm is more of a beverage coaster than a coin !

Alan Glasser

I'd say it's more like a dinner plate, Andyg. This thing is HUGE!  Alan

Quote from: alglasser on February 27, 2013, 11:27:14 PM
OOOOOOPS! That should be centimeters for the Congo coin!!!! Damn Metric System. Now you know why we don't use it here in the colonies!!!

Alan :P

malj1

I see the SCWC lists a few acrylic coins, but the only 25 Francs [acrylic] listed for Democratic Republic of the Congo is a 50mm one showing Captain James Cook's bust and the H M Barque Endeavour 2009. KM#213
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Alan Glasser

Hello malj1 and everybody.

Well...so you won't all think that I have fallen in a keg of much too strong wine (or worse) in describing the size of this "coin", I am attaching a photo of the Congo Mozart coin. My photographic skills are quite limited to be sure...but hopefully this will do the trick. For comparison, I have included a photo of a U.S. silver dollar which measures approximately 3.5 CM in diameter. Yup...the Mozart coin really IS about 14 CM in diameter. It is not listed in the SCWC...nor "Unusual World Coins". It's a "hefty" piece to be sure!!!  :P

Have a terrific day/evening, everyone.  Alan   :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

@josephjk

Wow! Alan that can be called a coin only in Texas (where everything is bigger! even the BS) for everyone else it's a dinner plate.. ;D ;D