Gwalior Rupee: AH1188/RY 15?

Started by Rangnath, September 15, 2008, 05:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

The coin is from Gwalior and weighs 11.2 grams.  Unfortunately, either because of a weak strike, worn dye or damage, the left central part of the coin is difficult to read.  The date appears to be AH XX88 with a reynal year of 15.  The mint mark under "Julus" suggests that the coin was minted in Gwalior Fort which would make the coin a KM 55.  However, the date is one not listed for that type of rupee for that mint, which suggests that I may be making a mistake.   
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  I see the '15' on the reverse,but I can't see any AH date on either side.Perhaps the AH date ended up not being struck on the coin,as either the planchet was too small for the dies,or the dies were too big for the planchet.

What does everyone else think?

Perhaps this is a Gwaliori coin,or it could be from another Indian princely state.

Aidan.

Rangnath

I'm delighted that you took a close look at the coin Aiden!
The problem though, is NOT from which state the coin was minted, but WHERE was the coin minted.  I am posting an image of the coin with highlighted areas.  The date on the obverse that I think that I see is 88, or AH XX88.  The reignal year of 15 would be compatible with that date. 
There are several coins from Gwalior with similar designs from the reign of Mahadji Rao Sindhia, 1761 to 1794 AD. Km 55 was minted in Gwalior Fort, but perhaps not in AH 1188.  Km 217, 218 and 56 were minted in Ujjain.  There are rupees from Ujjain minted during AH 1188 (I think), but they carry different mint marks than the coin posted here.  I have highlighted the mint mark which was used in Gwalior Fort but NOT in Ujjain as far as I know. 
By the way, all of the information that I have about minted coins in Gwalior is from "Coins of the Sindhias" by Lingen and Wiggins.  It is an easy to use manual and history of coinage from Gwalior.
Richie

Oesho

Dear Richie and Aidan,
The coin is, without doubt, struck at Gwalior. The date is correctly read as AH 1188/Ry.15 (14.03.1774-18.06.1774). The date is indeed not recorded, neither in the book "Coins of the Sindhias" nor in KM.
The typical mintmark for the coins of Gwalior Fort mint, of a cinquefoil on the obverse is absent on the early issues of this mint. The earliest date observed with the cinquefoil symbol is AH 1191 Ry.19.

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  That has definitely strengthened the case for this Gwaliori coin to be reported for listing in the 18th. Century Krause catalogue.

Jan,
  Thanks for the correct information,plus the fact that it is not listed anywhere.

Aidan.

Rangnath

Thanks for your interest Aidan. Thanks Oesho.  Well, to write in a less formal style (in fact, I seem to be bubbling with enthusiasm like a kid in summer camp writing home after the first week):
Coins from Gwalior are a real TRIP! The profusion of mint marks and symbols, the staggering number of varieties, the excitement in finding either a coin true to type or a radical departure from type is richly satisfying.  I love collecting coins from Gwalior! And now, I think I'll have a hot chocolate.
richie

Figleaf

And a very satisfactory "first published here" for this site. Thanks for showing it here, Rangnath.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.